UPS orders 8 747-400Fs!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
taz:

you are correct in that one of the issues that needs correcting is the article of compensation here at ups.

i think and could be wrong brown is a pretty good place to hang my hat.

please feel free to point out every other item you are not happy with on our expired/current contract and i will try my best to pass it along to the neg. team.

johnny

JohnnyCash said:
taz:

you are correct in that one of the issues that needs correcting is the article of compensation here at ups.

please feel free to point out every other item you are not happy with on our expired/current contract and i will try my best to pass it along to the neg. team.

johnny

I never said that. I was just making an observation.

I agree. One of the best.

You missed my point. I'll repeat my first post. Try not to get defensive so quick Johnny.

"After reviewing the pay rate that UPS pays for the 747 it occurred to me that while many are after the Jet Blue guys on their pay rates for the E190, why haven't the same people hammered the UPS folks for flying 101 heavy jets at narrow body rates?"

TAZ MAN said:
After reviewing the pay rate that UPS pays for the 747 it occurred to me that while many are after the Jet Blue guys on their pay rates for the E190, why haven't the same people hammered the UPS folks for flying 101 heavy jets at narrow body rates?

Looking at the hourly rate alone does not give the full picture. UPS' monthly guarentee works out to 81.25 hours and they can certainly earn more than that with their rigs. Compare their W2's and you'll get a better idea of where they stand. That thread for 2004 pay is probably around here somewhere. I think there were a number of UPS guys who contributed to it.

Their guys made a decision long ago to stick with one pay rate per seat. The result is that the smaller airplane guys are "overpaid" and the biggest airplane guys are "underpaid" in relation to other airlines. The advantage for them is that they make more money sooner and there is no incentive to constantly upgrade to bigger airplanes to bump up the paycheck. You pick the airplane you like, that goes where you want to go, and you can stay there.

LJ-ABX said:
Looking at the hourly rate alone does not give the full picture. UPS' monthly guarentee works out to 81.25 hours and they can certainly earn more than that with their rigs. Compare their W2's and you'll get a better idea of where they stand. That thread for 2004 pay is probably around here somewhere. I think there were a number of UPS guys who contributed to it.

Their guys made a decision long ago to stick with one pay rate per seat. The result is that the smaller airplane guys are "overpaid" and the biggest airplane guys are "underpaid" in relation to other airlines. The advantage for them is that they make more money sooner and there is no incentive to constantly upgrade to bigger airplanes to bump up the paycheck. You pick the airplane you like, that goes where you want to go, and you can stay there.

I can appreciate that. But it stil doesn't change the fact that relative to the industry their heavy rates have been pretty low.

TAZ MAN said:
I can appreciate that. But it stil doesn't change the fact that relative to the industry their heavy rates have been pretty low.

Those rates are also based on a contract that was ratified in 1998, when the airline was barely 10 years old. How many 10 year old cargo airlines can you think of where a 5th year FO is making $97.00 ($104.00 intl) per hour and a 12th year captain is making $190.00 per hour? Look for these rates to go up even higher when our negotiations are complete.

Also, how many airlines provide FREE uniforms for their pilots throughout their entire career, providing FREE uniform pieces every year? How many airlines provide FREE suitcases and brain-bags to their pilots throughout their entire career? That is about $4000.00 right away that I did not have to pay. And, they pay for your hotel as a newhire, FREE from day one through completion of your line check.

Not to mention, an A-fund, B-fund, and 401k.

When you say relative to the industry, are you also comparing us to PAX carriers too?

Amen!! When you come to UPS, you do it knowing that you will make as much flying a 747 as a 727. I like it! If you want to feel special and get a huge paycheck flying a 747, don't apply here. I would also like to add that after the contract is done, a 747 captain at UPS will be the highest paid in the industry.

And no from above, they will all be new from the factory.

I have to say I like the part with pay. To me you bid for you life style, not how much money you'll make on the plane you fly. And if you want to compare LOW rates, You should see what an F/O on a 767 international at my company is getting. And all we have is 75/76s with no pay difference between the two. Well, we do have a pay difference, we are really low!! Pay for uniforms, bags! WOW, I never new somebody was nice enough to do that. We had to pay for 50% for our set of uniforms, and 100% after that.

Splash, splash, just swimming around the old UPS pool.
LLB

TAZ MAN said:
Now that can certainly make a difference.

But if you were to compare these pay rates to the rates prior to the legacy slide they would seem rather low. But of course that was prior to the popularity of this forum so no one really had a chance to come after them.

Can you give the management at UPS a call and tell them that?

TAZ MAN said:

If their W2 is higher than those with higher hourly rates at year's end, who cares?

Latest resources

Back