UPS or CONTINENTAL AIRLINES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GuppyKiller said:
I'd go with UPS. Since 9-11, UPS has had it's most profitable era. They make $4 BILLION a year in profit!!! My buddies over there tell me there is a VERY good chance of a newhire getting the right seat of the MD-11 flying international! CAL on the other hand is on very shaky finacial ground. There is a very high probability that I will be flying the EMB 170 and hopefully the 190 for them in the near future.[/quote

where did you get this information from?

CAL vs UPS is a tough decision. Judging from your profile it doesn't look like you have alot of international experience. It is definitely not for everyone. The problem is you don't know if it's for you unless you try it. I would think after commuting up to ANC, crossing the pond and back then commuting back home, then being a zombie for 3 days is going to be tough on family life. I do it in the military and enjoy the life but I'm single and would not do it if I had a wife and kids that I liked. Compare that to flying the 75/76 or 737 which you don't have to commute nearly as far for and is much easier on the body and overall quality of life. Problem is you will have nowhere near the job security at CAL as you will at UPS FWIW. I'd go UPS if it were me, and if ANC was that tough of a commute and the long haul stuff was killing me I'd stick it out until I could bid another base and another jet with more domestic flying. It's as tough call, good luck.

I doubt guppy has even had her solo flight. Total Flamebait.

av8trix said:
Can't possibly answer this one without more info....what domicile has UPS hired you into, and where do you live? We have plenty of commuters, though most seem to end up living in domicile eventually. I don't know what your "opportunities" are, but if you have a job offer, I'm guessing you had the rec of a pilot that could tell you exactly what commuting would be like for you from where you live. Without that info, I can't help. I agree with a previous post though, that you may end up based in ANC. It went very junior on our last bid, and that is not somewhere I would try and commute to on UPS.

For new hires that get ANC, how long before you're able to bid SDF?

Anc

Muff-N-Man said:
For new hires that get ANC, how long before you're able to bid SDF?

Nobody knows how long it would be. Since it's an all new base there is no history out there to help you make that judgement. IMO, probably at least a year but maybe more depending on how many they hire behind you and when the next system bid comes up. If you volunteer for a 3 year deal they give you a relocation package and you waive your right to bid for 3 years.

GB

ANC can be a tough commute. I did it pre 9/11 and it was not too bad...people weren't so hung up on if you had an agreement and it really was Captain's Discretion. I don't know if I would want to do it now.

If I was to get an interview at UPS I would not hesitate to do a three year tour in ANC-yeah, the winters are tough, the summers can be a little cool but there are worse places to be based. If you like to ski, fish and hunt there are some outstanding places to do that!

I'd rather be based in ANC than EWR...but that's just my opinion.

What are the projected upgrade times at Brown anyhow?

Last edited:
FlyingFree said:
Can any one that currently flys for UPS give some insight to what the flying is really like at UPS if one was to commute. I have opportunities with both airlines. I am very familiar with the passenger side but was curious what it is like to be a commuter for UPS and maintain some sort of family life.

Go for UPS. I've been commuting for 17 years and it isn't the problem you might think. Eventually, you may even get the seniroirty to fly in and out of your home town, which is quite the deal.

On top of all that, I think you will find the money better here

Go to UPS and move your family to Louisville. It's a nice city and you won't have to worry about commuting. If you do get ANC, then you can commute on company which is pretty painless. I use them to get to ANC and sleep almost the entire trip. No problem.

Latest resources

Back