• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hiring mins at the end of hiring 3 years ago,
Required Mins:
1000 PIC FW/Turbin
Total time Com with experience...

Realistic number for most pilots (2000 PIC FW/turbin and about 4-6000 TT)
but then again, theres always those few that get in with 500 PIC (they know someone "important" and I dont mean a 16 year Line Capt) and then of course there the military equation. I had both Military and Civilain so my numbers really messed up the lot...

UPS keeps us guessing about hiring, The IPA's (IPA = Our Inhouse Union) staffing model has called for hiring for a long time now, UPS's answer is to downsize crews and max out lines. I hope they get caught with there pants down on this issue. We have pilots getting dispalced 4-5 times a years to different aircraft because UPS is trying to play the numbers game on Min staffing. Their decisions to hire in the past has always been random. If anyone says that we are going to hire, unless it Mike Eskew, Consider it Bull $hit...

1st year pay, yeah it sucked, but it is really UPS's responsibility to define what they will pay 1st year pilots. 1st year is considered probation and therefore not officially protected by the Union. When I was a first year pilot here and still drinking the brown koolaid, I disagreed with my last statement, but now that Ive been here a while, and I feel like I know the corprate culture and the pilot group, I think its up to the company. Some here will disagree, most here will agree.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
BIGBROWNDC8 said:
Hiring mins at the end of hiring 3 years ago,
Required Mins:
1000 PIC FW/Turbin
Total time Com with experience...

Realistic number for most pilots (2000 PIC FW/turbin and about 4-6000 TT)
but then again, theres always those few that get in with 500 PIC (they know someone "important" and I dont mean a 16 year Line Capt) and then of course there the military equation. I had both Military and Civilain so my numbers really messed up the lot...

UPS keeps us guessing about hiring, The IPA's (IPA = Our Inhouse Union) staffing model has called for hiring for a long time now, UPS's answer is to downsize crews and max out lines. I hope they get caught with there pants down on this issue. We have pilots getting dispalced 4-5 times a years to different aircraft because UPS is trying to play the numbers game on Min staffing. Their decisions to hire in the past has always been random. If anyone says that we are going to hire, unless it Mike Eskew, Consider it Bull $hit...

1st year pay, yeah it sucked, but it is really UPS's responsibility to define what they will pay 1st year pilots. 1st year is considered probation and therefore not officially protected by the Union. When I was a first year pilot here and still drinking the brown koolaid, I disagreed with my last statement, but now that Ive been here a while, and I feel like I know the corprate culture and the pilot group, I think its up to the company. Some here will disagree, most here will agree.

Hope this helps...
Gee, I guess I should take a leave of abscence and go out and get 500 more hours turbine PIC. My only contact was a line F/O.

Hey Clyde, no need to get wise about my comments, Im just trying to help. I too think its BS that Management has the most pull at UPS. If that kind of thing bothers you, this is not the company for you, That is just a minute sampling of the kind of "us and them" attitude that prevails here. as far as LOR's, Heck, I had LORs from 2 very Senior Capt's and an FO and didnt get a call for 3 years. I had both Military and regional PIC time. I even went to 7 different Air Inc Conf, had the suit, stood in line, resume, all the good stuff. I finally went out and beat the bush and found a management guy who was nice enough to write me an LOR. One thing is true, 3 weeks after the guy wrote me a LOR, I got the interview. Call it luck, good timing, whatever... TRUST ME, All of us IPA guys want UPS to hire more pilots. I counted tonight, there are only approx 85 FE's that are upgradeable to FO, the rest of our FE's are retreads, our next bid is out in a couple of weeks and then the number will be approx 50 or so. After that its either park planes or hire... Good luck and get your ME Turb FW PIC...

My Pre 9/11 PIC times was around 1900 or so... someone in my class only had 800 PIC which none of it was military. Go figure (had a LOR from a Sr management from what I was told) Hey good for him, he got the job and hes a nice guy...

UPS JA question

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
<snip>. . .I counted tonight, there are only approx 85 FE's that are upgradeable to FO, the rest of our FE's are retreads, our next bid is out in a couple of weeks and then the number will be approx 50 or so. After that its either park planes or hire... . . .<snip>. . ..
Big Brown. . .

I'm curious how UPS's Junior Available system works. Both how it's "supposed" to work and how it is actually used. Fortunately we don't have JA here, and I shudder at the thought of having to constantly screen my calls, maintain another phone line or rigorously brief the family on how to answer the phone.

1) Can you put yourself on a "Do Not Call" list?
2) Do they give you your JA assignments in a manner where you can't screen your phone calls or avoid Crew Scheduling? (I have heard horror stories of Delta crews getting their JA assinments given to them in the jetway. . .)
3) I'm assuming that a JA assignment pays more than a normal trip.
4) Is there a limit on how many JA trips you can be assigned in a month?

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
Hey Clyde, no need to get wise about my comments, Im just trying to help. I too think its BS that Management has the most pull at UPS. If that kind of thing bothers you, this is not the company for you, That is just a minute sampling of the kind of "us and them" attitude that prevails here. as far as LOR's, Heck, I had LORs from 2 very Senior Capt's and an FO and didnt get a call for 3 years. I had both Military and regional PIC time. I even went to 7 different Air Inc Conf, had the suit, stood in line, resume, all the good stuff. I finally went out and beat the bush and found a management guy who was nice enough to write me an LOR. One thing is true, 3 weeks after the guy wrote me a LOR, I got the interview. Call it luck, good timing, whatever... TRUST ME, All of us IPA guys want UPS to hire more pilots. I counted tonight, there are only approx 85 FE's that are upgradeable to FO, the rest of our FE's are retreads, our next bid is out in a couple of weeks and then the number will be approx 50 or so. After that its either park planes or hire... Good luck and get your ME Turb FW PIC...

My Pre 9/11 PIC times was around 1900 or so... someone in my class only had 800 PIC which none of it was military. Go figure (had a LOR from a Sr management from what I was told) Hey good for him, he got the job and hes a nice guy...
Brown, didn't intend for my comment to be wise. My apologies if it were taken that way. It was intended to inject a little humor into this thread.

When I was applying to the majors, a lot of people kept telling me to not even apply until I had at least 1000 PIC turbine, that it wouldn't even get looked at otherwise. I applied, and not only interviewed here, but was offered interviews at two other carriers. Given, it was also pre-911 and there were a few people senior to me that were leaving for other majors. With the glut of pilots out there and the current condition of the industry, it wouldn't surprise me to see the hiring conditions more strict now.

I do agree, management has the upper hand on a lot of things around here. I would like to see the company start taking our LOR's from line guys more seriously.

Hopefully this upgrade trend continues. Hoping it leads to vacancies that cannot be filled from the inside.

1.) No
2.) I've only had it happen via the phone
3.) Time and a half
4.) Yeah. You'd eventually reach your credit cap. I think it's 196 hours in 56 days.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back