UPS hiring? Not so much...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
next peak

For a strike to happen we would have to have a vote (could happen), have negoitated to the point of an impasse, (probably not going to happen by then), and be released into self help by the mediator (not going to happen by next Dec).

A "slowdown" would be illegal.

What we might have would be the union encouraging us to enjoy our time off by not do any extra flying. Problem with doing that over peak is, we already have in our contract that the lines can be extra optimized over peak so it's easy to build the lines with lot's of forced extra flying in them. The summertime has become the new "critical staffing" period because of vacations. What the company did last summer was just stuff the lines with a lot of extra flying, which is allowable under our scheduling rules. Just not a practice many of us are used to...at least me.

I think the only way to really fight the companies "efficient scheduling" situation is for guys to call in fatigued if they are fatigued...end of story. Sadly, it seems the only way you can get the companies attention is when the boxes stop moving.

de727UPS,

We tried the same thing, no overtime pickup, and LOST in court. We lost...? Why? Because the ATL judge said we were not doing the "status quo" or the normal pick up of open time that we always did--and that constituted a "slowdown." How can someone tell you to keep picking up opentime on your days off? Aren't those your DAYS OFF? Beats me.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Silly question?

I try to follow the news at UPS as close as I can but I think I've missed an important detail along the way.

Both BrownTailGuy and UPS Capt have mentioned the importance of Atlanta in management's decision making.

I thought UPS was headquartered in Louisville.

What have I missed?
Thanks.

UPS mins

Anybody know the real story concering UPS' minimums? UPS folks at AIR Inc put out 2000 ME/PIC. Last published was "TT Determined by experience. COMM, INST, FCC Radio Permit, FE/w, ATP, 4yr college and FAA Class I."

UPS Corp HQ is in ATL... UPS largest Pilot domicile/Airline Hq is in SDF... Nothing happens anywhere in the world of UPS unless it goes through ATL first. That is why everyone from SDF says no highering, ATL has told them no new pilots... Tommorrow, ATL could call and say hire 250... Stay tuned...

Last I knew, and this was pre-9/11, 2000 ME/FW/PIC/Turb (Helo time will count if you have atleast 1000 PIC ME/FW/PIC/Turb to go with it) Total time usually around 4000-6000. People in my class had all different times and backgrounds. Strickly Military guys, depending on what they flew, times could be less.

The best advice I could ever give anyone for getting a job at UPS is this. Flight time and type ratings are second to a really good LOR. Not just any LOR, but a LOR from a management person. UPS invests everything it has and takes everything it can from its managers, and the best way to assure an interview is to get a management person LOR (not necessarilly a Management pilot, just any manager)... LOR's from line pilots go a long way, and believe me, every effort should be made to get line pilots LOR's, but managers carry the most weight in the managers eyes. In the end, the managers are the ones making the ultimate decision of who gets hired. Id like to see more imput from the pilot group in the decisions of who gets hired here, but for now, its up "them"

Then aqgain, Im just a line dawg, I could be way off...

General Lee

The way I understand it, open time bans are illegal. It seems silly, and I agree with you, but the union can't tell you to NOT pick up open time (I think you call it green slipping). During our last situation like this, when UPS wanted to furlough, we simply had the union come out and say that guys are encouraged to enjoy thier time off. That's it. Some guys couldn't care less and flew their butts off but for the most part, people made the choice to enjoy thier time off and made the personal decision not to do any extra flying. In the end....there were no furloughs and no challenge from the company to the unions recommendation.

Latest resources

Back