UPS/FDX new hire commuting?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reserved Jumpseats

Don't forget that you can reserve your jumpseat up to 14 days in advance at FDX. This takes the stress factor of "gotta leave a day in advance", "gotta get to the airport at 0400 to beat all the other shmucks", "what if I don't make it in time for my trip" etc. out of the equation. Additionally if you're on a FDX jumpseat commuting in for a trip, the plane is late and miss your trip (VERY rare), it's a "no harm, no foul" situation. You miss the trip but don't get in any trouble.

I've been commuting since day 1 from an area with LOTS of FedEx guys and only 2 727s per day (i.e. 4 jumpseats total). I have virtually no complaints. IMHO, FedEx is the most commuter-friendly company out there and is one of the major reasons I came here. I wanted to live where I want, have control over my schedule and still lead a normal family life. Personally, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

A couple of UPS or FedEx questions. Do your trips start in SDF or MEM or do you commercial to an out station? Also do you layover for weekends or commercial home on the domestic side?

For Fedex how does subic work with skd, pay, commuting, crashpads, base locks, ect...? How big is the base?

Also for UPS how does MIA work? Is the 757/767 all international or do they mix it up. What types of skds does MIA get? Where do they go? How big is the base?

Thanks for any input!

Before some genius tells me that "i can do a search", i know that, i just wanted some updated info and more insight.

CHEERS!!!
;)

Last edited:
Big Daddy,

General info: trips start and end at airports all over the country. If you have a trip that starts somewhere other than your domicile (i.e. MEM/LAX/ANC) you have a front and/or back end deadhead attached. The normal front end deadhead is from domicile to the city where you start, plus layover, then operate the next day and vice-versa on the back end. You can cancel these scheduled deadheads and use the money to travel from where you live, paid for by the company as long as the new ticket costs the same or less as the original, any overage you must pick up. That's pretty rare, however, for example I live on the east coast and can get to anywhere on the west coast for the same price or less than a ticket from MEM, I've never had to pay out-of-pocket. Done this to OAK/LAX/PDX many times. This money can be used as you wish for the bid month (+- 3 days) in which the trip is scheduled. For example if you happen to take a jumpseat home you can use this "bank" money to commute to/from another trip if desired, including to/from domicile for trips that begin from MEM. The guys who have their cake and eat it too are those who can hold trips out of their hometown, ex. a 6-day trip, double deadhead may start on Monday with a DH, then layover, first operational leg on Tuesday, last op leg Friday night, layover, DH back to domicile on Sat. They end up at home on the front and back end and only work 4 days of a 6-day trip...sweet, but must have the seniority.

If your trip starts/ends in domicile you get there on your own. Schedule your jumpseats up to 14 days in advance as I mentioned above, no stress attached.

Still some w/e layovers out there, but fewer since the postal contract started.

Unfortunately I can't answer the Subic question w/out doing some digging, hopefully someone else has it readily available. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back