Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS EMB Diverts Into Wal-Mart in Manchester, pilot walks away!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Small Plane Crashes Into N.H. Wal-Mart

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) -- A small cargo plane with only the pilot on board crashed into a Wal-Mart Tuesday. The pilot was hurt but able to walk away from the crash, and there were no reports of injuries on the ground.
"I just saw a huge ball of smoke go up," said Maria Kosmakata, who was driving to her job at a nearby car dealership.

The twin-engine Embraer had just taken off from Manchester Airport, about 1 mile from the store, when it hit the Wal-Mart garden center at 7:20 a.m., said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Murray.

The pilot, Paul Seyler-Schmidt, 32, of Bangor, Maine, was helped away from the wreckage by workers at the car dealership and was taken to a hospital. His condition was not immediately available.

Reports are that he's conscious, that he knows what's going on, that he's asked for his wife," said Robin Outwater of AirNow, the Bennington, Vt.-based company that operates the plane. "He seems to be doing just fine."

Rick Osgood, who works at the car dealership and was at the crash, said Seyler-Schmidt walked away from the wreckage but appeared hurt, with blood on his head and an injured leg.

The plane, carrying cargo for United Parcel Service, was bound for Bangor, officials said.

Jim Hill, who lives near the airport, said it seemed like the plane tried re-approach airport after taking off when it struck the Wal-Mart store.

The store was evacuated after the crash, and there were no known injuries on the ground.
:eek:

I live and fly in this area. I had a couple phone calls from concerned people to make sure it wasn't me!

-Goose

Goose Egg said:
I live and fly in this area. I had a couple phone calls from concerned people to make sure it wasn't me!

-Goose

We're glad is wasn't you. I get the same calls from people, even if they now I DO NOT fly for that company and DO NOT fly in that area!! It's nice to know people care.:blush:

Saw the CNN report on that today. The pilot is one lucky dog! Not much left of the plane, I assume it was a Bandit?

skydivinguy said:
Saw the CNN report on that today. The pilot is one lucky dog! Not much left of the plane, I assume it was a Bandit?

Yes I believe it was the 110!!

I'm no fan of Walmart, but I don't dislike 'em enough to crash a plane into the front door...

C

Heard about it on the news yesterday, Now if we could only find a more effective way to bring down the Walmart empire. Glad he walked away though!

Latest resources

Back