UPS DC-8's in GSO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

berryszoo

In GSO today, why so many UPS DC-8's at Timco?I counted 7. All MX related or are they parking them until it gets busy?Thanks. ZOO

In GSO today, why so many UPS DC-8's at Timco?I counted 7. All MX related or are they parking them until it gets busy?Thanks. ZOO

Officially, they are there for "repair mapping." FAA has a bug up their rear for paperwork irregularities when these A/C were with their previous owners. Since UPS couldn't prove that certain checks were done over 20 yrs ago, they came to an agreement that this "repair mapping" will be done. What they are specifically doing - I don't know.

Unofficially, I feel that they are in "short-term storage" until UPS decides whether to retire them outright this summer or not.

In all probability, some pilots landed them and taxied to the ramp.

Just talked to a friend in DC-8 class. Was told to go home, class cancelled. Looks like no bid for the 09-4 period on the 8.

As per the quaterly meeting, all 8's gone this year. No shock there.

Too bad, I guess.

When I was ABX, there 8's were supposed to be flying till 2015.

I fly classic 747, and I look back on the 8, and its hard to imagine doing it that way again, but I will always say the DC-8 is one of the great planes, and I believe it runs rings around any Boeing, current or old.

But in retrospect, guys flying the -400, probobly couldnt imagine being on a classic, LOL.

Looks like 3 of them went to ROW from GSO today, bummer seeing that.

Too bad, I guess.

When I was ABX, there 8's were supposed to be flying till 2015.

I fly classic 747, and I look back on the 8, and its hard to imagine doing it that way again, but I will always say the DC-8 is one of the great planes, and I believe it runs rings around any Boeing, current or old.

But in retrospect, guys flying the -400, probobly couldn't imagine being on a classic, LOL.
I have flown them both.

Flying the -8 is similar to having your nut sack stapled to your thigh.

Flying the -8 is similar to having your nut sack stapled to your thigh.

I guess some of us have tougher nut sacks!:nuts: And thighs...

EMB - was your bud in class transitioning from another aircraft, or was this person in an initial class with UPS, as in called up out of the pool back when and finally in training? Just curious if they sent a recent hire "home", or if it's someone who still has a seat to go back to elsewhere in the system.

Latest resources

Back