• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS DC-8 Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can confirm this. In fact, (as far as I know) most U.S. airlines that had DC-8's had the same procedure. I can remember as a kid, riding on the DC-8 on United Airlines and the pilots doing this. They sometimes would make announcements for this because of the extra noise and doing it for a faster descent-since all aircraft didn't do this. Certification was done for this since the DC-8 doesn't have spoilers, I think. Interesting history.

The original DC8-21, -30 you could put all 1-4 idle, 2,3 mct. Not sure of the original, original -10. ;)

used instead of speed brakes

Sorry for the thread drift, but Fox Hunter, did you fly the VC-10?

Yes as a F/O, for East African Airways from 71-73, and again in 75' for a short period. They were actually the SVC10. Those aircraft today are RAF tankers.

These are the restrictions/Limitations we use at ATI, not sure about UPS.

THRUST REVERSER IN FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS

The inboard reversers may be operated up to Vd/Md, up to the reverse Power Lever Stop. Operation between Vmo/Mmo and Vd/Md require an inspection after landing.

LIMITATIONS

Minimum - 190 KIAS
Maximum - Vd/Md
Max speed for stowing reversers - 300 KIAS or M .80 whichever is lower.

Ive heard a story of an AEROMEXICO Dc-8 captain who was upgrade to the DC10 in the 80s, and on aflight to Germany almost deployed the reverses on flight!

Latest resources

Back