Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS/Custom Air Transport...any relation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rod farva

Is Custom Air Transport part of UPS or owned by UPS, or was the guy with the CAT badge bluffing when I asked who he flew for and he said "UPS".

No Relation

some jackoff who is trying to impress people

the only people who fly for UPS wear brown uniforms

he is justifying it by telling himself "he flies IN SUPPORT of UPS"

when turned down for jumpseats at the gate, after explaining what CAT/Custom Air Transport is, etc, he just says, "Look, I fly FOR UPS, ok?"

I work 4 UPS

CAT is nowhere compareable to FEDEXs and/or UPS. CAT is an insult to any cargo operator. CAT is probably worse than most FAR135 outfits.

On the other hand, I can understand why the UPS contract pilots such as CAT say that they fly for UPS; it's just easier to say, "I fly for UPS." than to say, "well, you've never heard of our airline, but we do support flights for UPS as a contract company." And then the questions start flying off the handle.

I know cause I do the same when I speak to someone outside of the aviation world and I don't fly for CAT.

I think you guys might be getting a little excited over this person's alleged statement about "I fly for UPS". It may have been either with a sense of irony or tongue-in-cheek, as both the Menlo people and the contract carriers kind of joke about it, along the lines of "UPS, Menlo, Emery, whoever the heck it is we work for this week". Different parts of the facility have the branding of each of the above.

And no, the cargo itself is not branded UPS.

And hey, satpak, I've not yet run across a CAT guy who's dropped that kind of attitude. More than a couple of them have echoed El Guapo's statement (CAT is probably worse than most 135 outfits, a statement that comes straight from the mouths of some crew I've talked to), but the flight crews are friendly.

I.P. Freley said:
I think you guys might be getting a little excited over this person's alleged statement about "I fly for UPS". It may have been either with a sense of irony or tongue-in-cheek, as both the Menlo people and the contract carriers kind of joke about it, along the lines of "UPS, Menlo, Emery, whoever the heck it is we work for this week". Different parts of the facility have the branding of each of the above.

And no, the cargo itself is not branded UPS.

And hey, satpak, I've not yet run across a CAT guy who's dropped that kind of attitude. More than a couple of them have echoed El Guapo's statement (CAT is probably worse than most 135 outfits, a statement that comes straight from the mouths of some crew I've talked to), but the flight crews are friendly.

Thanks IP, I work for CAT and can't imagine anybody here saying the fly for UPS or even comparing CAT with UPS. Thats not apples to apples. CAT is realy not that bad of a place to work. As a captain I make a living wage, (not great pay) and I am building that coveted left seat time. There are only two kinds of people here though, people building time and looking for something better, such as UPS , FEDex, etc., and those who can't go anywhere else. Either way we move freight with a good on time performance.

I understand, 27driver. I am not PERSONALLY slamming the company, just parroting what two or three present CAT people and at least twice that many FORMER CAT people have said to me. I'm not the guy who is going to poo-poo them, because I have no other personal experience with CAT. On the contrary, the CAT people I have talked to are just as personable as anyone else and I don't like the flight crews being smeared because of a mediocre perception of the COMPANY. Like you said, just like at most contract carriers the bulk of people are just biding their time and padding their resume like anywhere else that's NOT FedEx or UPS.

See ya in the cafeteria. Beware the dinner special. :)

UPS vs CAT

27 Driver,

UPS and Fedex to me are considered the top carriers in the cargo world to ME. By saying that CAT is one of the worse outfits out there I mean by work rules, treatment of crews by management, pay, benefits, etc..

You are absolutly right, I shouldn't catagorize CAT as the worst because I've never worked there. But my comments come directly from former and a few current pilots that I know there and I wish they'd find a better place.

El Guapo said:
27 Driver,

UPS and Fedex to me are considered the top carriers in the cargo world to ME. By saying that CAT is one of the worse outfits out there I mean by work rules, treatment of crews by management, pay, benefits, etc..

You are absolutly right, I shouldn't catagorize CAT as the worst because I've never worked there. But my comments come directly from former and a few current pilots that I know there and I wish they'd find a better place.

I understand where you are coming from El Guapo. I am just sick of people bashing CAT pilots because they work for CAT. As with any airline, there are a lot of good people here. There will always be the few ?&#holes that give the rest of us a bad name. All in all we have a good group of guys and gals that are just trying to make a living. Sure we are a supplemental 121 acmi carrier which means that we as pilots have to think outside of the box at times, but I have never been pressured to fly an airplane I felt was unsafe. The good thing about Cat and others llike CAT is that you can still earn a living wage while building time. Our FO's and FE's make as much or more than some of the commuter captains. Lets face it, unless you still have parental support it is hard to live working for $18 or $20 an hour. This is not to compare our wages with the big boys, but it is not bad. We have captains making over $110 an hour and are home based. There is no worring about jumpseating to work. There are a few perks. As for the UPS thing and Dayton, as soon as UPS acquires enough planes and crews, all contractors will be canned. This is just part of life. We will all face furloughs in our aviation career.

Latest resources

Back