UPS contract talks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sandyPAN said:
Does anybody know how the talks are going?
No. Not really going to know anything until it's time to vote.

Hello this is Tom Nicholson with the IPA Executive Board Hotline for Friday August 6, 2004.

The IPA and UPS have just concluded talks for the week. The talks took place in Cincinnati under the direction of NMB mediators Linda Puchala and John Livingood. If you remember Linda and John were also our facilitators during the 22-months of IBB prior to the joint request for mediation.

I had hoped to be more positive about our first week of mediated negotiations, but I am disappointed in the lack of progress. During the months of IBB talks, the IPA submitted our entire proposal to the company for their review in a logical and well-documented format. At the beginning of this week, we had hoped to see from the company, at least a well thought out, comprehensive, counter proposal. We did not see this. In fact, there is no significant progress to report for this week. The NMB has set our next round of talks for almost two months away. They will begin on September 27, 2004.

At the present time there are no talks scheduled with the company during this break. I sincerely hope that UPS will take this time to prepare for the upcoming talks by reading our proposal. This way, in September, they can come to the table prepared to negotiate. We have spent a lot of time, effort and money to formulate our complete proposal and it is time for UPS to do the same.

The IPA remains committed to obtaining an industry-leading contract. Whenever the company wants to get serious about the lives, health and well being of our crewmembers, we’re ready to meet with them at anytime, with or without mediators.

Over the next couple of months UPS will say that the IPA is being unreasonable and our demands too high. UPS is afraid that if they give us the contract we deserve, and the one we were promised years ago, they will not be competitive in the marketplace. What we are asking for is insignificant compared to the hundreds of millions in profits UPS makes every quarter.

For UPS this contract is not about money, but about power and control. They are unwilling to provide healthy scheduling rules because it would force them to become more efficient in the management and utilization of their crews. They are unwilling to provide better rest and duty rules, because it robs them of the power to reschedule crewmembers once on duty as some kind of “super reserve”.

We are committed to being professional at all times, whether it is on the line or at the bargaining table. We are committed to making sure UPS remains profitable and to giving our customers the service they need and deserve. However, we do not intend for UPS to continue their record breaking profits while the health and well being of our crewmembers continue to be in jeopardy. It is not only good business to share the success of a company with its employees; it is an ethical and moral duty.

Over the next months you may see UPS take measures in an effort to try and intimidate our Executive Board members and other IPA volunteers. We remain committed to the principle that our crewmembers must be treated fairly and compensated now, and in retirement, for the contributions that we have made to the success of our Company. We only seek to be treated and compensated just as fairly as our fellow workers, who rank at or near the top of their respective peer groups. We have not sought a fight, but we will fight. We have not compromised our professionalism, nor will we. We have set our goals high, because they are deserved.

How long have talks been going on?

I'm new to contract negotiations so if this is a dumb question forgive me.

Has there been any talk of a strike or some sort of work stopage?? Can you even strike during mediation discussions??

Thanks for any insight.

PurpleTail said:
I'm new to contract negotiations so if this is a dumb question forgive me.

Can you even strike during mediation discussions??

Thanks for any insight.
There's a lot of excellent educational resources on our ALPA FEDEX Website - - look under the Negotiating Committee page. It's our responsibility to become as informed as possible, and since we're in the middle of the process ourselves, it's in our best interest!

:)

Welcome to the FEDEX Pilots MEC Page!

Would UPS be short on pilots if they signed a contract just before the big push this fall? It seems they need to stall until January so they can start hiring to cover the new work rules. Any thoughts?

Fly Safe

The only problem with your line of thinking is that your thoughts make sense as if you actually planned out your response, and backed it up by forward thinking. Remember, This is UPS. We'll have none of that...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back