Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS, ABX, FEDEX, or commute to SWA at MDW?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lafe said:
Looking for advice on what I'm missing:
I'm exiting the air force very soon, will be flying part time with Springfield, Ohio Guard, and trying to figure which major I'd fly for if the stars all aligned and I had my choice. My number one [combination] goal is to live in Southern Ohio and take care of my Mother and family WHILE NOT COMMUTING (QOL, don't want to be gone unless I'm earning money). I know....already hit a showstopper and we ain't got started yet. Right now, my choice would be UPS for a lot of reasons, but that's still 3+ hour drive to SDF. ABX is 1 hour drive from my Mother's mailbox, but I assume that they aren't hiring. Far as I can tell, noone domiciled at CVG or CMH is hiring, and I don't know of any majors at all that domicile at DAY. I'll appreciate all input anyone is willing to offer.
(By the way, why are there always FEDEX birds on the ramp at Rickenbacker, but noone domiciles there?)
Thanks!

Lafe,

If I'm reading correctly, you want to avoid a commute. I agree, and can understand your desire, but.....In my experience, most if not all of us will commute at some point in our career. In other words, you probably can't avoid a commute. The only way that I know to avoid commuting is to move to base. At that point, you can avoid a commute by: getting lucky and working for carrier that remains stable for the rest of you career(never shrinking,furloughing, etc), or passing by advancement opportunities that occur at other bases (wait for upgrade until it comes at your base, etc).

This is just general info, not specific to your location.

I hope it works out for you,
enigma

OUT said:
It sounds like your attitude is biased against gays. I'd love to be flying with you and have you show that attitude. Can you say sexual harassment?

perv!

Lafe said:
Looking for advice...

...and trying to figure which major I'd fly for if the stars all aligned and I had my choice.

Lafe, I'd take this approach:

Fire off apps to all those outfits you mention, and see what happens. Not to be a nay-sayer, but from reading your post, it comes off as you need to figure this all out by yesterday.

In actuality, it could be YEARS before you even need to worry about it.

With that being said, sit tight, do your PT flying, and when you have those 5 offer letters staring you in the face at the same time, give us a shout. ;-)

Yeah....but 1500 PIC turbine. And he's NEVER read a book, magazine, or stretched his legs going to the John even once. His autopilot will not capture, couple, or otherwise do any routine NAV functions. I FLY more when I fly a 1.2 in an Eagle than when I fly a 4.0 to Boise in the 727. Both are fun, both are cool...but they are each very, very different. Flying a SAAB in and out of Duluth in the winter is a challenge. So is leading a 4 ship to the ranges or out to the MOA/Whiskey area for a 4v4. Until you've done both, its not really your job to judge. The airlines have taken guys from both backgrounds over the years and decided both can do the job...so I'll defer to them to make the final call.

Oh Brother,

I guess I have been too busy looking for my next job to post here, but what the hell....

Lafe..thanks for your service in the defense of our country. I'm sure the job you do is not easy. I'm pretty sure you have done your research on your number one picks. I have seen a few friends (Civilian and Mil.) go to FedEx. With the money you would make from either FedEx or UPS, you would be able to move your whole neighborhood to Memphis or Louisville. Your flight time seems low( F-16's ..thats understandable), however, if you meet the minimum qualifications, you have as much of a chance as anyone else.

Good luck

Once again, for god's sake, it doesn't matter wether you are mil. or civ. What matters is wether or not a person is an A$$H@LE. If someone is an A$$H@lE, please do everyone a favor and quit flying. It makes it so much easier for the rest of us who are tired of dealing with it.

back to the job search.

Latest resources

Back