Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
Congrats Big Brown. Your future looks so bright you need shades. The DHL loss announced last week emphasizes how dominant FedEx and UPS really are.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060517/20060517005538.html?.v=1

UPS Sets $1 Billion+ Expansion of Global Air Hub
Wednesday May 17, 11:00 am ET

Strong Growth in International & Domestic Express Business Fuels Demand for Additional Hub Capacity

Looks good if you want a ramp job...

When it comes to pilot jobs, the jury is still out. There is growing concern with the TA of the scheduling article and how, in its present form, will grant multiple efficiencies to the company and its effect on hiring. The thinking that seems to be that if that TA'd portion of the contract was to go through, hiring would be adversely affected, if not stop due to needing less pilots to do the same job. The final verdict will come out whenever a final contract TA comes out. Standby for more news...

And good luck to UPS for finding 4900 people in the Ville to fill the new jobs. The already have a hard enough time keeping the part time jobs filled. It is a good deal though if you want some or all of you college ed. payed for. I also just heard that we need 600-900 more pilots just for the new aircraft deliveries that are coming. We will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1800 RVR said:
When it comes to pilot jobs, the jury is still out. There is growing concern with the TA of the scheduling article and how, in its present form, will grant multiple efficiencies to the company and its effect on hiring. The thinking that seems to be that if that TA'd portion of the contract was to go through, hiring would be adversely affected, if not stop due to needing less pilots to do the same job. The final verdict will come out whenever a final contract TA comes out. Standby for more news...

Then the vote will be NO in my case. Look past the hourly pay rates and vote accordingly. I listened to cindy talk at the GMM and I actually believe that she will do all that she can to make scheduling better. I have absolutely no more faith left in my previous union (alpa), but I have complete faith that the IPA will not divide and conquer in regards to the senior and junior folk. Hope Im not setting myself up here...... we'll see..ehhhh????

EMBPILOT1 said:
And good luck to UPS for finding 4900 people in the Ville to fill the new jobs. The already have a hard enough time keeping the part time jobs filled. It is a good deal though if you want some or all of you college ed. payed for. I also just heard that we need 600-900 more pilots just for the new aircraft deliveries that are coming. We will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe they will finally ax the stupid nepotism thing.

UPS to hire more than 5,000 in expansion
By Wayne Tompkins
and Robert Schoenberger
The Courier-Journal

UPS will increase the capacity of its Worldport hub at Louisville International Airport by 60 percent in an expansion expected to cost more than $1 billion and employ more than 5,000, the company said Wednesday.

In announcing the expansion Wednesday morning, UPS said it would hire 1,284 full-time workers and 3,787 part-timers to staff the expanded hub. UPS already employs about 18,000 in Louisville.

The full-time jobs will pay an average of $41.73 per hour before benefits and include additional pilots and executives, according to UPS’ application for state incentives. The part-time jobs don’t qualify for state tax breaks.

"We anticipate strong growth in global trade to continue for years to come," Mike Eskew, UPS chairman and CEO, said in a statement. He added that expanding "the centerpiece of our worldwide infrastructure" is necessary to meet those needs.

In Frankfort Wednesday morning, the state approved UPS to receive $31.6 million in incentives, according to Donna Duncan, commissioner for the department of financial incentives.

Once the expansion is completed in November of 2010, UPS' Louisville hub will be able to handle 487,000 packages per hour, the company said.

Looks like someone finally admits that more pilots are needed.

The union update just came out and said they MAY be looking to add 100 new pilots to account for new aircraft. Also the mediator refused to hold official talks between the IPA and UPS. Instead, she want the two parties to hold informal meeting to exchange ideas. In other words, don't look for a contract anytime soon.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Congrats Big Brown. Your future looks so bright you need shades. The DHL loss announced last week emphasizes how dominant FedEx and UPS really are.
How many billion did FedEx and UPS lose trying to open international markets? I don't remember the exact number, but it was a bunch. Fortunately, both had enough domestic revenue to keep them alive while they sorted out the problems in their International operations.

DHL is in a similar position now. They're making enough money off of their International ops to carry them through some hard times here. The spectre of impending labor problems at their 2 major competitors (Fed Ex and UPS) only serves to help them increase market share here. Nobody wants to give either UPS or FedEx all of their business with the possibility of a strike looming in the near future.

I wouldn't count DHL out as a major player in the overnight express business.

Now, it they'd only hire some REAL employees...

Latest resources

Back