Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
When I started flying my FX-3 I built a survival vest, basically a fishing vest, outfitted with various items. One item I clip to my vest is a Garmin inReach Mini. Not long ago Garmin updated the device to the Mini 2 and I didn't think much about it until a friend got one which made me dig deep into the differences. I liked what I saw enough in the comparison that I decided to order the Mini 2 which will arrive tomorrow.

Amazon product ASIN B09PSKG7C3
Amazon product ASIN B07JCLL891

The vest I wear is this one below. One of these days I'll break down what I put in it but as I was talking with @Hunter last night I mentioned to him I learned of and also carry a laser flare.

Amazon product ASIN B07PYDQ2LK

Received the inReach Mini 2 yesterday, definitely a worthwhile upgrade. It seems to have better coverage from the info on the Garmin site, it actually handles timezones now whereas the v1 didn't know what time it was, you had to set the timezone offset. Also the app integration for messaging, maps is far better using both the Garmin Explore and Garmin Messenger apps.

It was very easy when activating it to transfer the subscription to the new device from the old. Nice job Garmin on an intuitive process of getting setup easily.

I used the Garmin Express app to update it far faster than the over the air method via the phone bluetooth pairing. It took a few cycles of updates but is now ready for use.

While doing some reading around the InReach Mini2 I found two interesting YouTube video's on using the InReach SOS function. I'm not sure if this was a Mini or Mini2 in the video, but theirs is some really good information on what happens when you hit SOS.

I'll be upgrading to the Mini2 soon and ensuring I have the Search and Rescue coverage as well.

and

Garmin has done a few webinars on the inReach that also discusses this. This may be the one I watched, not sure.

Latest resources

Back