• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrade times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, but SKYW has a 13 month upgrade! uhhhhh! we're the best!!!!!!!!!!!!! uhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I further the two year suggestion. It seems to me that after about a year you begin to get bored, and begin to explore your books and airplane. After a year and a half you have had time to flip through the performance books, the MEL, the logbooks, and FOM. Now to fill your boredom you begin to ask your captains situational questions, helping you to make sense of what you have read. You also begin to thoughtfully analyze yuor captains' decision making and tell yourself what you like and don't like about how a situation went down. Finally, at about two years the average FO will finally feel confident enough about their knowledge and decisions to actually challenge a captain on something and be able to explain why. At two years, the FO is generally so bored that he has had enough time to contemplate a proper course of action for most every likely abnormal, and even a few more complex situations. When your brain starts operating at that level, I think you are ready to upgrade.
Oh, and make sure you have seen a lot of weather... quit bidding FL overnights and southeast ops if you are likely to get an ORD or LGA base for the winter when you upgrade. Have someone in the left seat there for your first time, because soon you are going to be calling the shots. And know what to do when you can't reach the company on ATL radio, because sometimes there just isn't time or room on the frequency.

Being in the CRJ for 5 months now, I couldn't imagine accepting the offer to upgrade in 7 months.
I think 2-3 years is a good amount of time, depending how you spent your years as an FO.
I recently flew with a captain that was having troubles with taxiways on the airport diagram.
Note to self : Pay more attention and be more active as an FO than that guy did!

Air Wisconsin= The most junior CA award right now, for a projected staffing date of 8/1/07 has a March 2004 hire date. So, AWAC is about 3 years and 4 months give or take, I am sure it will slow down even more as no growth and stagnation are still the norm at AWAC. Lots of pilots trying to leave, but many haven't much luck. I know alot have gotten the rejection letters from SWA.

I've been at SKW for almost 3 years now and I finally took the upgrade. I flew the turbo-prop out in SoCal for a year and a half, transitioned to the jet in ORD and now am based in ATL. I could have done it earlier, but I definitely wanted to get some experience under my belt. Plus, there was no way in hell that I was going to move to Sh*tcago. I go to class in two weeks.

Lol......my comment wasn't entirely serious. I'm just saying we're not rapid like some of the other places mentioned on this thread. The massive upgrades occuring now are no rumour. They're for real. After what seemed like an eternity of 10 upgrades per month, we're now seeing numbers like 35, 40, 48, and 79 (the last bid). 4 years to the left seat of the SF3/ATR in about a year from now is a real possibility. 2001 guys might get it on the next bid (after 9/2001 came 2 1/2 years of no hiring, btw).

sorry for the thread hijack...

I know this is anyone's guess but where do you see the upgrade at in a year's time? I should have my degree and flight times by then.

Just curious, what A/C offers a "better" schedule out of ORD? CR7 or EMJ?

I'm seriously looking at AE since I'm from Chicago and would like to be based there for obvious QOL issues....

Latest resources

Back