• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrade requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about making it moot by letting the FARs and seniority to be the minimum? It's not like street captains are a new thing, much less a 6 month FO becoming a captain.

Maybe it has something to do with your company's insurance policy?

It is contractual because it is an exception to language that dictates filling vacancies by seniority. As you said the restrictions have been reduced in the past as needed. I personally don't think it is unreasonable for the company to prefer 500 hours of company time to ensure someone is familiar with the company's specific procedures, policies, culture, etc. before giving them command. If that ever becomes an issue I imagine it'll be reduced/waived like the TT limits. With upgrades just under 7 years it is not remotely a problem.

In my opinion, your seniority should dictate when you can go to upgrade training and the training itself should dictate whether you can actually upgrade rather than have some arbitrary number in the contract that does not allow you to exercise your seniority rights to try to upgrade.

He's the short, loud mouth, sch. chairman that has the "napoleon complex" at XE and tells a handfull of minions what to say on the web boards. He's McPickle on "The Pipe".

No, I'm not as short as him. Any other stupid questions?

Maybe it has something to do with your company's insurance policy?

Maybe but then that would mean the insurance company waives it when the company has needed it in the past and would also mean that the XJT pilots are more insurable? I don't know but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. Its probably has to do with the company wanting that language in the contract and the union allowed it. Kind of like ACARS notification of reassignments.

Last edited:
In my opinion, your seniority should dictate when you can go to upgrade training and the training itself should dictate whether you can actually upgrade rather than have some arbitrary number in the contract that does not allow you to exercise your seniority rights to try to upgrade.

No, I'm not as short as him. Any other stupid questions?

Maybe but then that would mean the insurance company waives it when the company has needed it in the past and would also mean that the XJT pilots are more insurable? I don't know but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. Its probably has to do with the company wanting that language in the contract and the union allowed it. Kind of like ACARS notification of reassignments.

I thought it was something the union wanted in the contract, just like to 500 PIC requirement to be a LCP.

Latest resources

Back