• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrade requirements/time to upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CommutAir is running around a year, give or take a few months.

Requirements are ATP mins, unless there are few opportunities then they can be higher. For now, ATP mins will do it.

Times look to get longer now that things are slowing, too.

ASA Upgrade requirements;

3000 Hours Total
2000 Hours Multi
500 Hours Company

Until very recently, these times were being waved and only ATP minimums were required. However, they are now enforcing these requirements. There are really no upgrades going on right now. We have a few very senior E120 Captains going to captain on the CRJ, but most E120 Captains and a few of the junior CRJ Captains are going back to FO. Junior Captain in the company is over 3 years. I'd expect this time to continue to rise.

Pinnacle Upgrade Requirements on the CRJ

3500tt but can be reduced to 3000tt w/ 500 in Company aircraft
1500 turbine
1000 multi

Last year we were actually hiring Captains off the street because we were so short. :)

Once your bid is in give it not more than a year for your # to come up depending on your senority of course.

Last edited:
The IAH thing appears to have been a one-time deal. The list to upgrade at SKYW -including Houston- is now long from what I heard. It'd be at least a year and a half, longer for the West coast. On the CRJ, like 4-5 years. Their mins are 2500TT, ATP, and 1000 hours multi-crew-turbine-part 121.

The seniority numbers for the August upgrade class go down into the 1400's and we only have about 1420 pilots. But, I just looked at the standing bid list and it is now a lot more senior. Lot's of RJ F/Os looking to upgrade in the EMB. I'm wondering if they'll re-award the classes.

Scott

Time to upgrade at ACA - ahahahahahahaha..... I think it was 1999 when it was easy and we were still hiring.

You are a funny guy. In all seriousness I am sure that my airbus will be along shortly and I wont actually end up on the street like everyone says...

Mesaba requires 5000tt for the Avro and 3000 tt for the Saab, but there has not been any upgrades since 2001. Currently the most junior captain is right at 5 years and the most junior fo is 2 1/2 years.

Latest resources

Back