• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on 2004 Gulfstream crash at Hobby

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lack of situational awareness appears to be the primary factor. The ability to maintain situational awareness is certinaly one of the cognitive abilities that we lose with age.

Those who wish to increase the retirement age like to say that there is no decrease in safety. This crew's mistakes does nothing to support that position.

That's very sobering to read. Such a simple mistake sometimes can have tragic consequences in this great profession.

When in doubt, with no warm and fuzzy feelings, and your getting down there during a low approach, Go Around.
It's tough to do (basically admitting your mistakes) but it's better than the consequences.
And age had NOTHING to do with this.

Two words. Task saturation! Ive been in this situation with some people before. Believe me it is harder to get someone to go around than you might think. Especialy if the pressure to get the mission done is on your mind (they were picking up a former president of the united states). However the lesson here is. If either one of you have any doubts about where you are once you get inside the marker. GO AROUND!!!!!! Just recently I was flying with a guy who ignored two gpws warnings while level at mda on a loc/bc approach at minimum weather. We were very busy and at an unfamilar airport. The flying pilot was so focused on finding the runway he didn't hear the TERRIAN! TERRAIN! blairing in our ears. The f/e and I smack him up side the head when just moments later we heard terrain terrain PULL UP!!!! everything worked out fine on the second approach. Task Saturation!!!!! It can be a BIATCHHH!!!!!! Fly safe everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to start it all over again, but where the hell were you guys when we were going at it about this on the corporate page???

Don't let 400A see this!

Worst case I have ever had was returning from Mexico landing at an international airport in southern Texas in a Jetstar in the 70's. We were using charts with the Jetstar we were demoing to some Mexican company and the secretary was doing the revisions. Well they moved the international airport to another airport about five miles away. Our final clearance was radar service terminated, cleared for the approach. Well thank God the buyer was in the jump seat and had been there before because we flew over the airport and I said there is the airport as a break in the overcast occured.

Our jumpseater said no they relocated the airport so I checked the Jep and sure enough there was another international airport behind my 11-1 chart at a different location. Totally confused I told approach control we were executing a missed approach but they said you are now about to intercept the localizer and you can continue the approach. Realizing that we were still in radar contact we quickly reset the final approach course and salvaged the worst approach in my career. Always discard out of date approach charts!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back