Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BOOZENEWS

I LOVE being on top!!
How many of you have ever practiced unusual attitude recoveries in actual IFR with a safety pilot or CFII? I did it once and it was a big confidence builder and a lot of fun! Another time I practed slow flight in IMC and actually flew it at least as well as in VFR! Our GS was slower than I ride a bike at since we were at 45 KIAS into a 20-25 kt hdwd!

Someday I want to land on the salt flats in the Nevada desert and fly a sea plane. Always looking for fun things besides the normal routine of flying!

When I first got hired hauling checks, my first training flight had us doing stalls, steep turns, and unusual attitude recoveries; all while holding over APE in actual IMC. Even had to deice the Baron to get us going. Realistic training at its finest.

That was a new one for me. I will always remeber the Check Airman saying ' ah- we're getting a bit of ice here, go ahead and recover from the stalls a little early.'

I just tried to stand up after my 3rd martini...does that count???? :D

I did recover, though - Go Red Wings....oh, that was last night - still - Go Red Wings!!

pilotpat said:
I just tried to stand up after my 3rd martini...does that count???? :D

I flew with a check airman years ago that gave me some advice in this department. He said, "Martinis are like womens breasts, one isn't enough, and three is too many!"

Probably some of the best advice given.:laugh:

X

Good advice......and still Go Wings! LMAO...you should see me at Froggie's in Nassau - ouchy, talk about unusual attitude...

You should NEVER practice unusual attitude recovery in actual conditions. If your instructor wants you to, call him/her an idiot and tell them you will do it with a hood in VMC. I'm sure it was a confidence builder for you, but it is just not smart. It would be like prcaticing landing stalls while actually landing...DUMB.

eight8kcabpilot said:
It would be like prcaticing landing stalls while actually landing...DUMB.

!...DOH!!..That's what I been tellin' my students for years!
"The purpose of practicing these landing stalls is to get real proficient at precisely flying the airplane into a stall at the landing touchdown, and the power recovery is like a go-around from flaring and stalling to high."...DOH!...what am i doing?

eight8kcabpilot said:
It would be like prcaticing landing stalls while actually landing...DUMB.

arnt we trying to stall the plane close to the ground during the flare?

Latest resources

Back