• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unusual airline call signs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can someone tell me where in the FAR's it says to use Tango in the call sign when your a 135 air taxi, I can't seem to find it.

I heard "Turtlehead" inbound to STL the other day. That's Go Jet, isn't it?

Can someone tell me where in the FAR's it says to use Tango in the call sign when your a 135 air taxi, I can't seem to find it.
It's in the AIM right here. Under 4-2-4, Aircraft Call Signs, Paragraph 3, example 4. Notice it goes from example 2 to example 4. I guess they forgot how to count at FAA central command.

Airtran was a florida based outfit. When they merged with Valuejet(in a sense) they stuck with Airtran. Remember the (valujet)flight that dumped in to the everglades? It was not long after that. Valujet was "critter", if memory serves, after their little mascot.

Oh, yeah, and since Airtran was based in Orlando and there's lots of citrus going on around that part of the world...........well.....I'm sure you get it.

Citrus was new though, original Airtran call sign was Manatee.

12 pages minimum.........

Let the PFT-Mesa Sucks-Go Jets-Compare W-2's race begin!!

"Giant" is my current (albeit biased) favorite...and it I guess it sounds sort of impressive - except for those times when we check in with the ATC "Giant Killer" Center folks. Then things just feel a little awkward.

( "Good evening Giant Killer...this is Giant#### ...... can't we all just get along?!" ).

My favorite one : Speedbird 001

I think British Airways should dump their "Speedbird" callsign since they no longer fly the Concorde.

The best callsign I ever had was when I was training in the military. We were allowed to choose from a list of callsigns when we flew the T-38 on a cross-country.

"Pushy 69" The controllers always laughed at that one.

Last edited:
Although it's a small antelope that inhabits central and western africa, SPRINGBOK, is a cool callsign. (South African Airways)

Dynasty is also a cool one (China Airlines).

Until you can't understand a thing that Dynasty said and you are both being vectored to the same ILS.

I thought English was the international language of Aviation?

Latest resources

Back