Uns Fms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

prpjt

What are the biggest differences between the UNS1-K and the UNS1-M? I understand one is memory limited. Will one do much more vs. the other?Thanks in advance.

From what I can remember the K has the SID's and STAR's. The M doesn't have them, you have to load them in manually. I think that was the biggest difference.

Big difference. A UNS-1K is actually a "real" UNS, and works like all the other UNS-1 units, except for the UNS-1M.

A UNS-1M will do most of what a real UNS will do (except SIDs and STARs for some reason), but the display is smaller and lower resolution, and thus cannot display as much information. It is much harder to use as well.

I believe the UNS-1M is much older than the 1K and other 1 series units. I've only seen UNS-1Ms in older turboprops and jets.

If you have a choice, the UNS-1K is the way to go.

prpjt said:
What are the biggest differences between the UNS1-K and the UNS1-M? I understand one is memory limited. Will one do much more vs. the other?Thanks in advance.

Universal has replaced the K in their line-up with the L. Even more memory and better screen. The M is basicly a boat anchor. No SIDs or STARs. Be careful about manual entry as some of the new SIDs and STARs do not have fix names or coordinates on all the fixes.

We have a single UNS-1M in a 1996 BE-B200 with Collins EFIS -85 and FCS. Memory is limited. UNS-1M is not in production anymore. Not all non-precisions will be on the database and does not have SIDS and STARS. Auto-pilot will capture VNAV on available approaches (although not approved for VNAV minimums in our aircraft/operation) but will not capture a pre-programed enroute VNAV profile.

In regards to the new suffixs and AC 90-100, what is the appropriate code? The unit is GPS based with DME NAV inputs. We have been a /G. I haven't digested AC 90-100 yet and we have a service letter from Universal listing the units that conform to the new requirements. UNS-1M is not listed, but various -1K s are. For our purposes (non-RVSM) I'm trying to figure out if a /F will be an appropriate code or not. Anyone? When does a unit become a FMS vs a "Navigational Management System"? Is it when it is a multi-sensor unit is connected to a Flight Control System (i.e. auto-pilot/FD)? UNS-1M manual calls it a NMS. That term also shows up on our MEL as well as FMS. Which is it?

Last edited:
Everyone here has pretty well summed it up. I was always surprised the M had less capability than the K given its designation. Now I know why.

The K was really great. We them in the 140 and they were vastly superior to the Honeywell FMZ in many areas. I can't wait to see the new UNS-1.

LegacyDriver said:
We them in the 140 and they were vastly superior to the Honeywell FMZ in many areas. I can't wait to see the new UNS-1.

Please eloborate. I can't imagine a situation in which a UNS would be superior to Honeywell NZ2000(boxes).

It's all what you are used to. I found that the FMZ in the Sovereign was more capable than the UNS, but (for me) more difficult to use.

I'm sure if I started with the FMZ or NZ2000 and then transitioned to the UNS, I would gripe about the UNS instead.

HawkerF/O said:
Please eloborate. I can't imagine a situation in which a UNS would be superior to Honeywell NZ2000(boxes).

I started with UNS 1Ms, then moved on to the NZ2K. I liked the UNS, but the NZs do so much more. If you can think of it, the NZs can do it. YOu might not know how to get it to do it, but it will do it if you just read the book or ask someone. I did like the "Sequence Next Leg" funciton of the 1Ms when departing EGE on the runway to the west, and the box as a whole was great. I liked having to input SIDS and STARS, as I check them anyways even if I didnt have to input them. With that said, the Honeywells make you think. You have to go in and pull the info out of it, but in doing that, you are really on top of what you are doing and getting great experience mastering the box. I can appreciate liking what you 1st learned on, but Honeywell really takes the cake over UNSs, though they are both good boxes. I hear Collins (pro line 4, continuims (SP?), and pro line 21) are even better. Who knows..........
some_dude said:
It's all what you are used to. I found that the FMZ in the Sovereign was more capable than the UNS, but (for me) more difficult to use.

I'm sure if I started with the FMZ or NZ2000 and then transitioned to the UNS, I would gripe about the UNS instead.

Background...

Started on the FMZ in the 145 and did that for about 13 mos. Went to the 140 and the UNS. Hated it. Got used to it. Went back to FMZ and realized how nice UNS was. Went back to UNS. Was so happy... Now back to FMZ.

Off the top of my head, a few things on the UNS that I prefer are:

1) FLPLAN Info - The FLPLAN page shows more waypoints (five or seven) than the FMZ (three). Better situational awareness for my money.

2) Performance Page - Gives the winds, fuel flow, etc. etc. On a single page with updates every second. The honeywell shows this info spread across five pages and many button presses.

3) VNAV - VNAV on UNS gives an exact readout on crossings including: exact descent rate, descent angle, deviation in feet above/below slope, and all targeted info. You can program the UNS to give you a slope or a rate after querying it... So, if I want to know what a 1500 fpm rate is it will give me the slope and vice versa...etc. etc... It gives you a constant target rate, updated every second, to meet your crossing. (I do all of this in my head any way but it is a nice backup.). The FMZ only gives you a pink VNAV arrow on the P1000 and you have to guess what it takes to bring you back to the slope (or calculate mentally with no backup--the difference between a sword and a scalpel).

4) WX - The ACARS on the UNS is much easier than the FMZ system. Way fewer buttons to press and easier to read IMHO.

I have minor quibbles with the UNS and would love to combine it with the FMZ to come up with the ultimate fms but prefer the UNS over the FMZ.

The VNAV alone is light years ahead of the FMZ's for my aircraft.

Latest resources

Back