Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TheChief

University of Illinois starts new charter service

found this in the paper the other day....they must be out of their mind thinking they'll make money with this?!?

University of Illinois to Inaugurate New Airline Charter Service

PRESS RELEASE, Gazette News
--By Jay Rockler

Champaign, IL— The University of Illinois Institute of Aviation recently announced that it will be starting an airline charter business called “Flying Illini.”

This new charter service will utilize two ex-United Airline’s Boeing 737-500 aircraft, reconfigured with 85 business class seats. The popular passenger jets will don an eye-catching orange and blue paint scheme with the University’s “U of I” logo on the tail.

Initial charter flights will serve as transports for U of I Athletic teams, but the University hopes to expand operations into the charter markets of nearby Chicago and St. Louis. The U of I Institute of Aviation is currently seeking FAA authorization to conduct charter flights the Caribbean and Mexico on behalf of Golden Vacations.

The Institute is not a first time operator in the air charter arena. In the late 1960s, the University flew DC-3’s under the name “Staff Air Transport” to shuttle University employees within the Mid-West.

An Institute Spokesperson is excited and enthusiastic about her department’s new venture. “Traditionally, the U of I Institute of Aviation has been dedicated to teaching students how to fly,” she comments, “but we’re going to spread our wings and take on this new challenge, providing a new component to our program while also generating additional revenue for the University.”

The institute is planning on staffing the charter
department with its own employees. Flight Attendants will be recruited locally and mechanics will come from the University’s flight school. Pilots will be hired externally but preference will be given to pilots who are Illinois graduates. The Institute is seeking FAA approval to utilize their very own Boeing 737 simulator for training.

Proving runs for the “Flying Illini” are scheduled to commence fall semester from Champaign-Willard Airport. The “Flying Illini” will be fully operational in time for the University’s football season.

Last edited:
Uhhhh, I really wanna call BS on this thing. It would be cool but it just seems waaaay out of character. Where exactly would they park these things.
The 73's with a nice orange and blue paint scheme could look really good though.
I was under the impression that the U of I operated Cessna 310's for their Staff Air Transport Service (SATS).
The Institute no longer has an A and P program, so, where exactly, would they get the mechanics from? Are they going to take mechanics from the guys who work on the University fleet?
I may have to walk next door and get a confirmation on this...

just a question, I flew a few hours in that 737 sim, helping them develop a training curriculum, does that mean I'm qualified? :)

Oh yeah, they are kinda stealing my name (Flying Illini), is there anyway I can sue and get some money? :)

nothing mentioned about this on the U of I Institute of Aviation website...

That paper didnt happen to be dated April 1st did it chief?

I wouldnt think a public institution would be able to operate a corporation (especially an airline) in an attempt to make a profit. If I was UAL I would be very upset my tax money is being used for this.

Last edited:
Yeah right. :rolleyes: The administration couldn't get the B737 sim course off the ground after we handed it to them on a sliver platter. There is no way they are going to fly an actual airplane. I always said it would be good to have a university airplane do the sports flying, but I doubt it would ever happen.

T-REX said:
That paper didnt happen to be dated April 1st did it chief?

I wouldnt think a public institution would be able to operate a corporation (especially an airline) in an attempt to make a profit. If I was UAL I would be very upset my tax money is being used for this.

Thats exactly my thoughts too. Businesses could cry foul over this very easily, having taxpayer money go to starting up a private sector business.

A similar situation is happening in the weather mod industry where a quasi-state water district is using aircraft go to after wx mod projects in other states and countries. They get state funding which helps fund their project, and then are using those aircraft to try to get other contracts in other states which should go to businesses. I know of at least one lawsuit in the works over it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back