University of Illinois starts new charter service University of Illinois

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T-REX said:
I wouldnt think a public institution would be able to operate a corporation (especially an airline) in an attempt to make a profit.

T,

Purdue owned and operated a Part 121 supplemental airline for 25+ years operating DC3/6/9 ( had a DC6 sim ) and also did charter work outside of university business. Of course, they were-non profit. I think they HAD to be or the university couldn't have done it. Of course, the whole structure of the airline business was very different than it is now.

It was one of the 7 permanent supplemental air carrier certificates issued by the CAB after WW2. I believe World, TIA, ONA, Standard, American Flyers were among the others, but I can't remember for sure about this.

It was sold to Stevens, a banking/investment firm, in '69. He promptly ran it out of business.

It's not totally out of the realm of possibility that U of I would think about doing this...nothing new under the sun. Whether it'll work ? Dunno...

bafanguy said:
Purdue owned and operated a Part 121 supplemental airline for 25+ years operating DC3/6/9 ( had a DC6 sim ) and also did charter work outside of university business. Of course, they were-non profit. I think they HAD to be or the university couldn't have done it. Of course, the whole structure of the airline business was very different than it is now.

It was probably best known too for the short-lived Playboy DC-9.

bafanguy said:
T,

I know that the airline was sold for "financial considerations" but I was told that those considerations were that they weren't non-profit and that they were eventually called out on it. Kind of cool while it lasted though... real world training for the students until the -9's came along... they were only allowed to observe on those flights... I'm assuming it was an insurance thing or maybe an inability to train them like they could on the -3/-6.

Clutch_Cargo said:
I know that the airline was sold for "financial considerations" but I was told that those considerations were that they weren't non-profit and that they were eventually called out on it.

Can't remember exactly what brought about the sale. I seem to remember the university just got tired of messing with something so far outside the scope of higher education. I'll have to check for the real answer. And, a few of the students did fly the DC9 after the airline changed hands.

bafanguy said:
Can't remember exactly what brought about the sale. I seem to remember the university just got tired of messing with something so far outside the scope of higher education. I'll have to check for the real answer. And, a few of the students did fly the DC9 after the airline changed hands.

You're full of... all kinds of good info, Bafanguy!:) I didn't know any of the students flew the -9. Didn't know about the airline being sold to Stevens either. I read or had been told that it was eventually picked-up by another carrier... Ozark maybe. Anyway, thanks for the info... interesting stuff.

cc

Btw, sorry Flying Illini for hijacking your thread!

Uh, guys, can you say TOTAL B.S.?

The University Of Illinois wouldn't announce a multimillion-dollar project from an "anonymous" spokesperson.

The University of Illinois did run a Staff Air Transport program for a number of years to transport university personnel and sports teams. The Cessna 310's were the last in the line of equipment that included, over the years, Aztecs, Apaches, Bonanzas, DC-3s, and a DC-6 (ex-UAL). There may have been others, those are just what I've seen pictures of. They also had a couple Beech 18's at one time, however, I don't believe those were used for transport purposes. As far as I know, the program had dedicated pilots, and students could move up into the right seat after completing most of the aviation program. Unfortunately, those glory days of flying are long gone. Those of you still back in CMI can ask around- there's at least one instructor still there who was a former Staff Air pilot.

In regards to the suggestion with the 737s, I'm gonna chalk that story up to some bleary-eyed optimistic flight student. Having spent the better part of ten years at the Institute, I'll say it ain't gonna happen.

what about the 727 and 737 ( I think that's what was there, the memory fades a bit) sitting on the ramp a couple years ago

Are they used for anything or is it like the 747 that sat at WMU for a couple years rotting and collecting bird nests.

Heard rumors a couple years back that UAL was gonna give Purdue a 737-300 (maybe 500?) fresh off the line free of charge. It was to be used for hauling around sports teams and for a bit of supplemental charter, much like the old Purdue Airlines. They were going to let students from each program interact with it, but I'm not sure if FLT students were going to get to fly right seat or not.

Either way, it was nixed when liability/insurance people and politics within the university got mixed. Something about professional flight crews instead of professors & students, I think.

/end hijack
//back to that "other" Big 10 aviation school thread;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back