• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United stock up 17% today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not like any answers to "why" things happen in the market are easy...... but any idea why this happened?

Not like any answers to "why" things happen in the market are easy...... but any idea why this happened?

Ah, well, this is from the yahoo link that was provided by the OP, but please allow me to entertain you!

"Shares of U.S. airlines surged more than 7 percent on Tuesday, the biggest one-day percentage jump since May 2009, after United Airlines reported January unit revenue that blew past Wall Street estimates, suggesting the sector's recovery is gaining steam."

No that's funny.

Tilton runs the place into the ground and the analyst upgrade the stock to make a profit. Sweeet.

United reported their RASM increased by about 10%. Huge jump, and it gave the market confidence that the remainder of airlines will post similar results.

It makes me want to throw up that more than 50% of United flights are not even flown by United......

Wal Mart anyone?

By Shara Tibken
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Airline shares soared Tuesday after United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UAUA) reported sharply higher passenger-unit revenue in January.
Late Monday, the parent of United Airlines said passenger-unit revenue--a key metric of the amount taken in for each passenger flown a mile--rose 9.5% to 11.5% in January compared with a year ago.
UAL recently pledged to provide more data in its monthly traffic reports. Tuesday, it disclosed its unit revenue data for the past two years and explained how its unit revenue changes in the first quarter of 2009 were worse than the industry average. In January 2009, for instance, United's unit revenue declined 6.7%, four points worse than the industry's unit revenue results. In February 2009, it had unit revenue results that were three points worse than the industry, and in March 2009 they were 1.2 points worse, year over year.
"The bottom line is United's numbers got the group going because analysts [and investors] think as United goes, so goes the industry," Jesup & Lamont analyst Helane Becker said, adding the numbers were better than expected.
She said United's numbers turned bad before the rest of the group as it has more exposure to international, premium business class traffic. And now United has reported better results, suggesting the rest of the industry could soon follow suit with improving numbers.
"We're totally seeing a recovery in the group," Becker said. "We should start to see the numbers come through in the next quarter or two."
In recent trading, UAL soared 16% to $15.17, while AMR Corp. (AMR) jumped 9% to $7.98. Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) climbed 9.2% to $12.29, and Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL) rose 8.5% to $18.84. JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) gained 7% to $5.06, and US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) grew 7.3% to $6.36. The general market also gained strongly Tuesday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average recently up about 200 points.
JPMorgan, meanwhile, hiked 2010 per-share earnings estimates for UAL to $1.99 from $1.23 after the airline's strong January revenue. The firm, which is very confident in a recovery for U.S. airlines this year, says it's close to upgrades for AMR, US Airways and UAL, even as shares trade at a discount to historical levels. The firm said Continental, Delta and Alaska Air Group Inc. (ALK) are likely to rally, but "in our view, all three are already reasonably valued."
In other industry news, Japan Airlines Corp. (JALSY, 9205.TO) chose Tuesday to keep its ties with AMR's American Airlines rather than strike a new alliance with Delta Air Lines. The decision capped a fierce, months-long battle between the two leading U.S. airlines over Japan's ailing national carrier. Despite its financial woes, JAL remains Asia's largest carrier by revenue, offering entry into the world's second-largest economy and an extensive route network through other parts of Asia.
"The Japanese news is really good news for American, but doesn't affect the rest of the space," Jesup & Lamont's Becker said.
She added it would have been bad for American if JAL didn't stay with the airline, but for Delta, it's "almost a non-event."
"The addition of JAL would have given Delta the strongest position of any U.S. carrier in Japan, but we think the alliance would have had a great deal of trouble getting antitrust immunity," Standard & Poor's Equity analyst Jim Corridore said in a note.
-By Shara Tibken, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2189; [email protected]
(Susan Carey and Ann Keeton contributed to this report.)

It makes me want to throw up that more than 50% of United flights are not even flown by United......

Wal Mart anyone?

Thanks to great scope protection from the barbie jets...I get sick every time I go to work. Either we get some of the flying back or we strike. I don't care either way. The quality at mainline isn't real good but on the RJ's....give me a break! I love it on DH's they check all my bags cuz there isn't any overhead bin room. What a joke. Talk about "Flying Cheap"

Latest resources

Back