• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United or American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goddamnit, I'm gonna feed the bear here.

Army WO's excluded, how many military pilots lack a "commission-able" degree?

Zero and has been that way for a very long time. The Air Force and Navy stopped their warrant officer programs before I enlisted in 1980.

Zero and has been that way for a very long time. The Air Force and Navy stopped their warrant officer programs before I enlisted in 1980.

Actually, there was a NAVCAD program in the Navy in the 80's which had guys going back to get their degrees, I think. Not positive of the details.

Actually, there was a NAVCAD program in the Navy in the 80's which had guys going back to get their degrees, I think. Not positive of the details.

I stand corrected. I looked up Navy Warrant Officer and it looks like the Navy still has warrant officers. I don't remember ever seeing one so they must be fairly rare.

One thing is for certain.....PilotYIP has a piss poor track record at choosing which companies to work for......

So in the end, if you are ever looking for career advice, please...for the love of God...do not under any circumstances, take his career advice.....

These guys were commissioned without having a degree. Almost positive they were Ensigns not WO's. Have never seen a WO in the Navy, Marines yes (I know they are part of the Dept of the Navy) but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

NavCad was temporarily reopened in March 1986 to meet the demands of the expanded Navy and was integrated back into the Aviation Officer Candidate School program. Candidates had to have either an associate's degree or 60 semester hours of college study. Like their predecessors decades before, these NavCads would complete flight training as candidates, receive their commissions once they received their wings as Naval Aviators, and would later attend college to complete their degree on their first shore duty assignment. The NavCad program was shut down again following the end of the Cold War. The last civilian applicants were accepted in 1992 and the NavCad program finally canceled on October 1, 1993.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I learned a bit.
However, unless you want to fly choppers in the Army, or have access to a time machine - good luck receiving military flight training sans college degree.

One thing is for certain.....PilotYIP has a piss poor track record at choosing which companies to work for......

So in the end, if you are ever looking for career advice, please...for the love of God...do not under any circumstances, take his career advice.....
Yes you not want to follow my advice. unless of course you want to go from C-206 pilot to ATP Typed DC-9 pilot in 12 months while making close to $40K. Here is a list of where pilots work that have followed my advice, NJ, JB, Spirit, DAL, SWA, AAL, UAL, USAir, FedEx, UPS, Fortune 5 company. Many of these guys did not have college degrees when I recruited them to get on at JUS. Many got their free college degrees while working at JUS.Many did not have degrees when hired at NJ, Spirit, JB, and SWA

As far as my career goes, this career is all about luck and timing. When I got out of the Navy in 1977, the pilot market was flooded with the glut of Vietnam Era military pilots.

When I left the Navy in 1977, I was 33 and had about 2,500 hours, 700 of which came in 6 months flying around Vietnam. Most of my flight time is multi engine turbine PIC in a 100K + P-3, an ATP with an L-188 type. I averaged only 100 hours a year my last five years in the Navy.

The majors told me my age and hours were out of ratio, back then being over 30 and getting a major interview was difficult. So I went to the largest 121 supplemental in the country an ALPA carrier Transamerica DC-8's, DC-10's B-747's and L-188's. DO tells us during Basic Indoc that we will all be 747 CA's in five years due to their expansion plans, making $100K/yr which in 1978 was a fortune. Two years later they are selling airplanes and I am going backward in seniority was that beyond my control? Did it have anything to do with my skill or desire?

So I get a job as a Corp pilot with a Fortune 500 auto parts makers with a history of no lay offs, 3 years later they lay off half their pilots. The early 80's were a bad time for getting aviation jobs. So I start my own business, now hiring starts again I am 42, who gets hired, the 35 year-old guys in reserve P-3 unit, less flight time. By the time my age is again attractive, I have been promoted out of the Naval Reserve flying and the airlines tell me I am not current in big airplanes. So I go to a work for a commuter, it goes out of business. Now it is 1991, no jobs anywhere again, is that in my control?

So I go to another Corp job, in North Carolina, in 1996 they sell their airplane. In the fall of 1996, I get on with Zantop at Willow Run as an L-188 Captain; they have been in business forever, 6 months later they go out of business. I get hired by USA Jet as Director of Training I have had 11 jobs, 7 flying and 4 non-flying, moved 7 times since leaving the Navy in 1977. JUS has been very good for me and I get great satisfaction in helping these new pilots get the experience thy did in a solid training environment that allows them to move on to career jobs.

We are all hostages to fortune (thank you E Gann), and do not have the control over our lives we would like to think we do. The guys who make it to the FedEx, SWA level are very fortunate to be where they are, but there is an element of luck and timing that has nothing to do with their skill or desire. Hang in there with your attitude you are going to have a ball

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back