• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
potrack--Not everyone wants to work for AA. Some people have had that dream since they started. Great. I have no problem with that. But you have to realize that bigger is not necessarily better. It does not get you more job security, money or better working conditions.

There are a lot of smaller airlines out there with better workrules(having 30% of your pilots on a $hitty reserve system is NOT good QOL) and several with better pay.

AA's management "seems" to be changing and lightening up. We'll see if it is for real. In the past, AA refined screwing the employees to an artform. Few of us want to work in an environment that gives you that "I hate my job but I love my paycheck" attitude.

I hated showing up for work every day wondering which agent is going to write you up for looking crossways at her. Seeing ineffeciency on a scale matched only by the U.S. Gov't. is enough to drive you crazy. I can't imagine spending a whole career flying with people that are so uptight you couldn't drive a needle up their ass with a sledgehammer! :eek: (AA pilots didn't get the "SkyNazi" moniker for just the usual 5% of the pilot group that are problem children.)

It's just not for me. If that's what you're into, great. Enjoy.TC

EAP said:
That's a very bad piece of advice. Lot's of formerly well employed pilots who would have been captains at a stable major airline, that at one time seemed too small and scrappy compared to the giants, are now furloughed by the "bigger airline" and flying for random companies everywhere until a benevolent LCC or unlikely recall ends the circus... until the next unforseen event occurs of course and somebody else chimes in with another "shoulda, coulda, woulda" solution that should have been considered with advanced perspective way back when... Whoaaa... did I say that out loud???

What makes an AA guy "smart" or "superior" for being there, and a UAL guy "arrogant" for thinking his giant ship would never ram the iceburg? It's all a crap shoot and the best man - er, pilot, doesn't always simply end up in the best position when it's all said and done. Hence a lot of really darned great TWA guys are getting the cement shoes for no other reason than happenstance. I feel for you guys and there are a whole lot of others in your shoes right now too though.

The truth of the matter is TWA was THE place to work many years ago, and it still had a lot of momentum keeping some of the best in the industry there. Now it is finally gone to hell in a handbasket but my feeling is that nothing will be solved here on this bichin board so please everyone relax and keep flying safe. Most importantly remember to value the good things in your life and not get too caught up in the many negative side shows in our lovely careers.

Very well said 717... I agree 100%.

my 2 cents sure to annoy

I could never understand those ex Pan Am and Twa guys that carry flight bags with stickers from the now defunct airlines . Some saying stuff like Pan Am gone but never forgotten. Looks kind of odd seeing a pilot for one major advertising for a defunct airline ?

yeah,

like the military guys who aren't in the Reserve or Guard anymore but they want you to see the sticker that says they were an F-15 pilot 10 years ago.

Let it go guys......let it go.....you aren't an F-15 pilot anymore....you are a 727 FE, accept it.

It may be difficult to understand the pride and great memories associated with something like being a part of, let's say, the once great Pan Am or a great fighter unit, for example, if you never have had the pleasure of it yet. Just wait. You'll see the reason soon enough, and get a chance at being a duck out of water too, the way this business goes!

We are all a sum of our life experiences. We are never just a "pilot", "FE" or whatever else somebody wants to label you. ;)

a little analogy

Have you ever seen a car with the flag of a country such as Italy, germany, Ireland, Puerto Rico( not a country but you get the idea) or Jamaica . Then you realiize that the people who own those cars are living here a much better life than that other country.Well guess what no where is an american flag . . I feel that if a Northwest Pilot for example carries a flight bag with Pan Am or TWA on it it sends a message to the flying public Whether valid or not, put a bumper sticker on your car or something ? I know jobs that would never allow such a thing My 2 cents for what its worth.I think loyalty begins at the place that pays you the $ . we all miss things from the past . I guess I will glue a picture of my ex wife to my bag . Vavso

Last edited:
We are getting waaaaaaaayyyyyyy off subject here, but the beauty of being able to put whatever you want (within decency) on your flight bag or your car is that is stems from personal freedoms. The US is one of the few places in the world people can, and feel comfortable, putting stickers on their property. And good on them for doing so in my opinion. My car/bag sticker? The American flag. I was on a layover ending a 4 day trip on 9/11/2001 in Manhattan, and was stuck there for 7 days and helping where I could for the duration - until I could finally get back to my family. Nobody is gonna tell me to take it off and I won't tell anyone else to take their imprtant things down either.

I see Pan Am and TWA stickers as being a small freedom to someone that doesn't have much else to show for a great time in their life. It's all good.

Fly safe.

Latest resources

Back