• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Continental Talking....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the time this happens, UAL will likely be hiring. As mentioned above, in 2000, we had 2 year captains at UAL. We're not that far off from having them again. If salary is part of the "career expectation" equation, then ALPA handed the 2172 (furloughees) a horrid card by giving up longevity credit. Another bad hand is our 3 year freeze, particularly for the more senior furloughees because now some of the most junior furloughees are going into the 757/767 and new hires may be doing the same next year. If we don't have fences, those 2172 who are in the Bus or 737 are going to be there for a long time...depending on the integration.

For our sake (UAL), I hope this all occurs after our next contract which will certainly improve our lot in life. And, we can hope that the CAL management team will be in the top spots, but is Tilton really willing to step away from a mega-merger with just the money? He could have done the same thing at Texaco/Chevron.

In a nutshell:

Just make sure that CAL management is in charge and UAL management slinks off into the sunset. UAL management got us through a rough period in our history but they can't lead their way out of a paper bag.

United would likely be the surviving name.

Andy,

You and I went round and round about that dirt bag Tilton, last year, glad to see that you finally see the light. This guy can't get out of there fast enough.

The writing has been on the wall since the end of Sept when he hired Goldman Sachs to find a merger partner. I blame him for all of the consolidation and all of the future pain that these mergers will undoubtedly bestow on countless families. It was no coincidence that one he hired GS, Parker went aggressively after DAL. Parker is smart and saw where this was going.

If I was on the UALMEC I would worry about the type of deal that he is willing to cut just to get his options and run. If, when he gives total control to the current CAL mgt. your MEC will be negotiating from an extrememly weak position. Cut your deals now, once he has the option to get out with his millions, all bets are off.

This is from today's WSJ:
"United is so desperate to merge I'm surprised they're not listing on eBay."
--Michael Boyd, aviation consultant at Boyd Group Inc.​

You and I went round and round about that dirt bag Tilton, last year, glad to see that you finally see the light. This guy can't get out of there fast enough.

Ah, but there's a difference between being a great leader and a great money man.
Tilton was great at getting United back on track financially; if Goodwin or his successor (Creighton) had stayed at the helm much longer, there likely would not be a United Airlines. He's made a lot of changes at the top levels of United; mostly for the better in terms of financial performance.

I do not think that current United management is incompetent (just look at how much money they extracted from the rank and file employees :mad: ); they're just evil, heartless grinches. They do not have the ability/skill to rally the troops and inspire them to do a great job.

UAL management = great money managers, horrible leaders.
CAL management are much better leaders, which is why they're not willing to cede control of CAL's employees to UAL management. After reading about how CAL rebuffed DAL, I can tell you that I'd much rather work for a management team that views loyalty as a two way street.

You are correct that mergers are painful for the rank and file. Just witness all of the gnashing of teeth on this thread over the rumor of a merge.

As far as United's employees getting the shaft if CAL management took over, that's speculation on your part. I think that CAL management is able to look beyond the next quarter and realizes that an AMR/TWA-style merge would not bode well for the company in the long term.

Last edited:
UAL management = great money managers, horrible leaders.
CAL management are much better leaders, which is why they're not willing to cede control of CAL's employees to UAL management. After reading about how CAL rebuffed DAL, I can tell you that I'd much rather work for a management team that views loyalty as a two way street.

If GB was still CEO then I would agree but now LK is CEO, I would not go as far as saying it is totally a 2 way street. There are still trust issues from the employee standpoint, imo.

CAL, what happens with your express employees in a merger? Are they part of the equation?

Technically, CAL doesn't "have" any express employees. ExpressJet feeds Continental on either a CPA, but they are a separate company with their own employee group.

I believe the outcome for employees ExpressJet would be the same for say, Mesa if the merger came to pass -- Future in flux, but in the meantime status quo until the details of the merger were finalized and in effect.

Not to toss more fuel on the fire, but anyone who bypassed recall (such as myself; offered 25 Sep 06 class date) can return at any time (I will be in the 22 Jan 07 class) until the seniority list is gone through in reverse seniority order. At that time, a bypassing pilot will either accept recall or vacate the seniority list. I'm willing to bet that ~700 pilots will not return to United.

The estimated timeframe for United reaching the bottom of the seniority list is the end of Feb/early Mar 07. I estimate that United will go through the seniority list in reverse order by the end of June 07. So active/inactive pilot is not going to be a factor in any seniority integration.

Please try to refrain from using the word 'staple;' as soon as that word gets used in ANY seniority integration discussion, a free for all usually ensues on both sides. I caution all United pilots to also refrain from using that word.

And that was my point...IF (notice it's big :) ) someone has bypassed recall at UAL and this thing gets a true head of steam, then those individuals should have to basically "$hit or get off the pot" and accept recall to be back in training (i.e. ACTIVE) prior to the effective date of the seniority integration or they go to the bottom of the list. Basically saying, your SENIORITY rights are good until the integration goes thru. After that, you waive seniority and maintain RECALL rights until they expire under the current or future CBA (hopefully indefinite in this case).

Originally Posted by densoo
CAL pilots have had how many changes of leadership (union and otherwise) in the pilot group in the past 10 years? They can't even get it together and stabilized within the pilot group, much less get an equal shake vs management in the last contract. Just last week a new LEC was voted in at IAH. Nothing is settled at CAL.
It's not up to the pilots on this forum or either airline to debate other than for speculation and it has absolutely not bearing on the ultimate outcome. With the leadership change in IAH our MEC is now solid and no weaker than our UAL counterparts.

Now there is a recall afoot for an elected rep who hasn't even taken office yet. Where does it end?

Last edited:
Now there is a recall afoot for an elected rep who hasn't even taken office yet. Where does it end?

That's a little bit of an exaggeration, wouldn't you say? The faction behind the noise can't seem to swallow the fact that their days are over.

Latest resources

Back