Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
So I was onboard a UAL flight yesterday from Washington/Dulles to Tampa in an A320. I was flipping through some literature stuffed in the seatback, and I found out that you can actually hear ATC communications via the headphones on channel 9. I tried it out, and indeed you could. Everything the captain said I could hear. It was very interesting. When ATC said turn left, the aircraft banked left. When the captain checked in with center, I knew our exact altitude (or pressure altitude). Above all, the most surprising thing was that the airline pilot really doesn't have any rapid fire, advanced, high-level radio transmissions to execute. Everything he said was all too familiar. Nothing either I or my instructor hadn't said before.

I was pissed though. Just as we descending to land, some guy next to me started yapping away about living in Florida, sharks, heat, etc......completely missed all the communications during the decent/landing...:rolleyes:

UnAnswerd said:
So I was onboard a UAL flight yesterday from Washington/Dulles to Tampa in an A320. I was flipping through some literature stuffed in the seatback, and I found out that you can actually hear ATC communications via the headphones on channel 9. I tried it out, and indeed you could. Everything the captain said I could hear. It was very interesting. When ATC said turn left, the aircraft banked left. When the captain checked in with center, I knew our exact altitude (or pressure altitude). Above all, the most surprising thing was that the airline pilot really doesn't have any rapid fire, advanced, high-level radio transmissions to execute. Everything he said was all too familiar. Nothing either I or my instructor hadn't said before.

I was pissed though. Just as we descending to land, some guy next to me started yapping away about living in Florida, sharks, heat, etc......completely missed all the communications during the decent/landing...:rolleyes:

How do you know the Captain was the one talking on the radio? Did he state such when he checked on with each new frequency?

Dangerkitty said:
How do you know the Captain was the one talking on the radio? Did he state such when he checked on with each new frequency?

Because he introduced himself as captain before we took off. Then you hear the same voice in the transmissions.

UnAnswerd said:
Above all, the most surprising thing was that the airline pilot really doesn't have any rapid fire, advanced, high-level radio transmissions to execute. Everything he said was all too familiar. Nothing either I or my instructor hadn't said before.

We do all that high-level advanced stuff on a secret frequency through our decoder rings.

Did he check in with Center at any point using the phrase "With you..."

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

UnAnswerd said:
Above all, the most surprising thing was that the airline pilot really doesn't have any rapid fire, advanced, high-level radio transmissions to execute. Everything he said was all too familiar. Nothing either I or my instructor hadn't said before.

Well, you and your instructor I'm sure have heard airliners on the frequencies that you use, it doesn't sound any different over our radios than it does over yours. Occasionally we get wild sounding clearances, but we have usually heard them many times, so it's no big deal.

UnAnswerd said:
Everything he said was all too familiar. Nothing either I or my instructor hadn't said before.
So you and your instructor have both said, "Jax center, United XXX FL350?"

This is United Airlines only good idea.

Using Rhapsody in Blue as their hallmark.

Everytime I hear it on the radio, or on TV, I know for a fact it's United, so I know I can change the channel!

Ever since I was a little kid, I have associated it with United. If United ever changed it to something else, I dunno, it'd be a stooooooooopid move.

Latest resources

Back