Unit funding problems.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyward80

I just found out that I might be put on a 6 week unpaid vacation after OTS until I start UPT due to unit funding problems. I was wondering if anybody else had run into this problem and what you did about it. My student loan payments are too high to be unemployed again. Any advice would be appreciated!

Skyward80

That sinks. I assume you're talking about a reserve unit, and you are not a member of the unit. I would hang out at the unit and see if you could at least bum around. Out pre-UPT Lt is working everyday and is going to the leadership course for Lts (scoff) at Maxwell. See if you can do that.

CCDiscoB:

Yeah, it's a reserve unit. I'm a newly-acquired member. They may still be able to get me hooked up with a job up there since I am part of the unit in a manner of speaking. We'll see.

About ASBC (Air and Space Basic Course), I don't think I have enough of a gap to fit that course in, but I am running that idea past them as well.

Pat:

As far as I know, the SSCRA can reduce your interest rate, but I can't remember reading about deferment rights. I may just give it a shot anyways if it comes to that.

Skyward80

Hardship Deferment

SSCRA won't allow you to defer loans, however you can get an Economic Hardship Deferment (for up to 3 years) if your monthly loan payments amount to 20% (or more) of your monthly income.
The neat thing about the Hardship Deferment (versus a Forebearance) is that the government pays the interest on Subsidized (i.e. Stafford) loans.

My student loan consolidation lender told me the SCCRA interest rate cap doesn't apply to consolidated student loans. I think they're blowing smoke up my A$$. Anyone know otherwise?

Sonic:

As far as I know, the SSCRA does not specify limitations on what types of loans get the interest rate cap. I think your bank is blowing smoke. Mine does the same thing from time to time. I threaten them with legal action and cite some law references. Usually, they become very helpful after that. They'll do all they can to screw you out of your money. They'll even flat out lie.

Skyward80

Ask your unit if you can hold an IMA position. Individual Mobilization Augmentees are all over the place. It would normally be funded by AFRC so your unit wouldn't have to pick up the tab. Look up the AFRC website to see what types of short term positions you can qualify for. Ask someone if you can get paid for being a casual student at your SUPT base. We have casuals in the ordely room and scheduling office.

TACC has MPA days

You might be able to work a TDY deal to Scott AFB, IL and work for the Tanker/Airlift Control Center. This is one of the places where your unit might release you...Talk to your AFRES assigned unit about this.

Take ALL of your Pilot Training Stuff with you so that you can study during your free time.

Latest resources

Back