Unions getting desperate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ultrarunner

What's with the AFA and IAM at Delta (NWA) filing to change the voting rules? Is this a desperation move? I mean c'mon, if you don't have the simple majority, you don't have it.

Last edited:
Heyas Ultra,

Yea, it's kind of funny. From what I understand, in addition to this, the IAM filed for an election for only part of their NWA workforce (only certain class & crafts), while witholding the request for election for others.

It's obvious that they're working a numbers game, but it's up to their membership to decide what's best for themselves.

Nu

Well, after reading the entire article, it is apparent to the IAW and AFA, which represents DL North, that they will loose the right to represent in the election. The rules are not going to be changed. It would be precedent-setting, and IMO is not going to happen.

If DL south thought that IAM and AFA were such a great deal, they would have voted them in years ago

What's with the AFA and IAM at Delta (NWA) filing to change the voting rules? Is this a desperation move? I mean c'mon, if you don't have the simple majority, you don't have it.

Richard?? Is that you??

Well, after reading the entire article, it is apparent to the IAW and AFA, which represents DL North, that they will loose the right to represent in the election. The rules are not going to be changed. It would be precedent-setting, and IMO is not going to happen.

If DL south thought that IAM and AFA were such a great deal, they would have voted them in years ago

Mike Campbell!!! Nice to see you on our forums again. Why don't you crawl back to the Snakepit with your other Ford and Harrison buddies!

The way the current system works is totally jaded in Managements favor. If someone doesn't vote it is considered a NO vote! They just want to flip it around so that the Majority of those who vote rule!!! The same way every election in the USA is done!

The current sytem sucks. You have a 28 day election and Company Management gets to provide the address list for all employees (which they always pad with people who don't exist, wrong addresses, management types etc.) voting instructions are sent out via snail mail. If an individual does not recieve his instructions then she can't vote. If you want to replace them you must send for a form, fill it out, and snail mail it back. Then you wait, hope, and pray the nmb sends you another copy. The whole process is set up jaded in managements favor and is designed to make it extremely difficult to unionize. I say let the majority of those who vote rule! Why are you so scared of that?

If the US ran voting the same way very little would ever get done.

Last edited:
Mike Campbell!!! Nice to see you on our forums again. Why don't you crawl back to the Snakepit with your other Ford and Harrison buddies!

The way the current system works is totally jaded in Managements favor. If someone doesn't vote it is considered a NO vote! They just want to flip it around so that the Majority of those who vote rule!!! The same way every election in the USA is done!

The current sytem sucks. You have a 28 day election and Company Management gets to provide the address list for all employees (which they always pad with people who don't exist, wrong addresses, management types etc.) voting instructions are sent out via snail mail. If an individual does not recieve his instructions then she can't vote. If you want to replace them you must send for a form, fill it out, and snail mail it back. Then you wait, hope, and pray the nmb sends you another copy. The whole process is set up jaded in managements favor and is designed to make it extremely difficult to unionize. I say let the majority of those who vote rule! Why are you so scared of that?

If the US ran voting the same way very little would ever get done.

I'm hardly a radical, but the current election rules are so biased in favor of management I'm surprised Michael Moore hasn't made a movie out of it. I can't tell you the number of times at DAL I've seen slimy management posters and slogans such as "give em a rip!" referring to organizing votes (as in, just rip them up, because not submitting a vote automatically equals a "no" vote).

The better question would be: "what is wrong with letting a majority of those who actually cared enough to vote...AT ALL...decide the outcome?"

if they switch the rules as requested by AFA and IAM they will have to base decertifications votes on the same rules (i.e. majority of votes cast). This could be more destabilizing than any benefit from changing the voting process. I hope these requests are denied.

Latest resources

Back