Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ChimneyFish

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some advice to getting a union started at CommutAir. There's plenty of talk, but I think somebody needs to step up to the plate and get things going.

So, where do you start? Call ALPA? Teamsters? For all I know, something is already in the works, but who knows?

After 3 pay cuts in the last year and a half (on-time bonus gone, payroll deduction for health plan, another payroll deduction for health care) now they want to slap us with another $1/week to join CASS. I mean, come on. I can't wait to be the lowest paid Saab captain in the country.

ChimneyFish

Have you talked to CA1900?

Send him a private message. I believe he was involved in or is at least familiar with the last union drive at Commutair.

When you get ahold of ALPA ask them for a list of the airlines for which they have been able to secure meaningful improvements in pay and working conditions, not just taking money from one pocket and putting it in another.

Have you considered going to an in-house union? The rate might be higher initially, but the focus will be squarely on your issues and your return on investment may be much, much higher. The ancillary benefits such as Aeromedical services can be purchased from vendors (like ALPA does).

The real question is does anyone at Commutair want to improve things bad enough to pay the money necessary and make the time investment necessary to make a union fly? Or, do they want to buy Union-In-A-Box for 1.95% through a dues checkoff and then complain about how ALPA never does anything?

That ship has sailed........twice.

You are screwed. Sorry, but you need to get your time and leave as fast as possible. A Union is needed at CommutAir, but it is not worth your time and effort. Though having Terry and Joel having to deal with duty rigs and all would be fun to watch.

This has been tried twice and failed. First time by the IBT, the second by ALPA (I was not there for that one, though I would have sent in a yes card).
The biggest problem with each drive is all the old (read PLB) timers.

ALPA does nothing for the small carriers. Hell they don't do anything for the legacy's except for duck and run.
As for IBT, well it depends on what local you are in.
In house Union at CommutAir?!? Stop smoking the hotel draps. You need a large membership, with money (you do know what a pilot at CA make, right?) and talent in the Union business. Sorry that would be a HUGE mistake.

So my advice is fly your butt off and get your time. Then try and find a better place with a established Union.

There won't be anyone to unionize

Fozzy said:
You are screwed. Sorry, but you need to get your time and leave as fast as possible. A Union is needed at CommutAir, but it is not worth your time and effort. Though having Terry and Joel having to deal with duty rigs and all would be fun to watch.

ALPA does nothing for the small carriers. Hell they don't do anything for the legacy's except for duck and run.
As for IBT, well it depends on what local you are in.
In house Union at CommutAir?!? Stop smoking the hotel draps. You need a large membership, with money (you do know what a pilot at CA make, right?) and talent in the Union business. Sorry that would be a HUGE mistake.

So my advice is fly your butt off and get your time. Then try and find a better place with a established Union.
I agree.

The fact of the matter is that when/if cabin class come online and we end up with subpar pay, benefits and working conditions, getting a union together will be impsossible. There won't be any pilots left to unionize. A majority of the seniority list, myself included, will quit so fast it will make management's collective heads spin.

The vocal members of the pilot group talking union aren't the only ones upset with what's going on. There is another group that is taking a wait and see approach. Just because they are quiet, it doesn't mean that they aren't fed up. These are the guys that want things to work out, but if they don't, their notice will be given the next day. Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does, it will be a terrible shame.

Most of the plilots here have a "back up" plan and rather than waste time and energy trying to bring on a union and fighting what would be a losing battle, they will just bail. There won't be anyone left. Nobody left to fly the planes=no more airline. Then management will get the message, albeit too late.

Last edited:
Why ruin a good thing by bringing in a union? with all the archaic laws in place they make it very difficult to get rid of them when your unhappy with them. It takes a lot of time and effort to throw the SOBs back to the street where they belong. They are too cowardly to simply put it to a vote every year to keep representation or not.

Latest resources

Back