Unhappy Regional Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NRHPilot

Eagle may not be the best place to be I agree, but what kills me is when people talk about jumping ship to another regional. I guess if you have less than a year seinority it may be an alright idea. However, if you do leave to another regional where are you going to go from there? If you are trying to get on with a major, you better be sending your resume to SWA since they are the only ones hiring currently and it will probably be that way for the next 3-5 years. Who knows, maybe in your next interview they will ask you why you made a lateral move.

My initial class at Skywest had 3 former eagle pilots, all of whom got hired right into the jet and should be captains in under three years, how long is the jet upgrade or any upgrade for that matter at eagle? It may be a "lateral" move but it has progressed their careers much faster than any prospect at eagle, and from talking with them their quality of life has improved dramitically (along with their paychecks). As you already mentioned nobody is going to be hiring for a long time, it all just depends on where you want to spend that time, and how happy you want to be doing it.

NRHPilot said:
Who knows, maybe in your next interview they will ask you why you made a lateral move.

Unless you have about 15 years seniority, I think it would be a bit of a strecth to call leaving Eagle a "lateral move".

Eagle's reputation is hardly ill-deserved.

JMHO of course.

NRHPilot,

Verify you are taking about Americhautauqua Eagle?

Exactly

Last edited:
I left American Eagle with a year and a half seniority, and I talked to many major airline people that agreed with my move. In aviaition, you have two things to consider, quality of life and career progression. We all know that 9/11 has changed the industry dramatically, yet most "regionals" have grown from it due to their cheaper operating costs. AE is one of the few who have downsized, furloughed 300+ pilots and displaced over half of their pilots. When I left jet captain upgrades were at 9 years, four year prop captains were displaced to jet fo's and jet fo's went back to props, half went to San Juan. Downgrading pay and having no hopes of it returning for a while is one thing, and no sight of upgrade is another. Why not go to an airline that is growing, I think that it is a personal preference. Everyone might have their own reasons. If the majors do start hiring again in four to five years, where would you rather be sitting, as an f/o or a captain? I was thankful to AE for the great training they gave me on three different airplanes, the pilots are a great bunch, but times have hit the company hard. I certainly dont think that one major will have a problem with movement to better your career while this industry is taking a beating. Just because an airline can be categorized in the regional division, does not mean that they are all the same. I enjoy great benefits, a great contract, and a better life at my new airline, I hardly think that it is a lateral move

Splert said:
NRHPilot,

Verify you are taking about Americhautauqua Eagle?

Exactly

Didn't you mean to say Americhautauquatransstates Eagle??

WD:D

I had 2 eagle guys in my class at ACA. It is a lateral move in that you go from one regional to another, but according to them they made a step up in their careers.

With Eagle pilots on the streets, it makes perfect sense to leave there. For example: I started with ASA this year (2002) I already have 167 pilots below me on the list. With just 1560 pilots, that's over 10% behind me. More classes this Nov/Dec. Without a doubt, I'd jump ship at Eagle! Gotta go where it's gonna grow.

Latest resources

Back