• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unemployment Benefits...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK so who has used WIA for a type rating. Where do I begin. ? I was led to believe by my state EDD office ( CA) that there was no more funding. Now, as I understand it.. the funding for the 'airline industry' has run out, however we still qualify under the WIA .
Thanks,

JD2K

Do a www.google.com search using "worker investment act" and your state of employment or residence.

It's Workforce Investment Act.

And, unemployment benefits are collected from the state to which your employer paid your unemployment insurance -- maybe where you live, maybe where you were based, maybe where the company is headquartered, maybe where the company is incorporated, etc. (My apologies if someone already answered this question -- I only read the thread briefly.)

Wia

I used WIA a while back to get a type rating but this time they tell me that Avation is a declining industry and they will not fund it. They suggested I take a welding class or get a CDL. I am sure that funding for a rating would be hard to get these days.

Skyline

I agree with Skyline. I also got a WIA-funded type rating after I lost my job some 3 years ago (see previous posts in this thread). In those days, funds were available, no problem. The problem was that it did not work from the government perspective. In other words, it did not guarantee you a job, it did not make you more marketable (since many people were doing it and therefore you did not have the edge). All it did was take money out of the coffers until it ran dry. I cannot quote you figures but why do you think the govt or eventually the individual states, made it harder to get? They did not get a return on their investment.
Think of it this way, knowing what you know about the industry presently, would you invest in any US airline right now? Everybody, incl. the govt (eventually) wants a return and when you consistently don't get that, programs get terminated.
In my case, I succeeded in getting the funding, completing the course in record time but then experienced 16 months of continuous employment. Did it work for me? In as far as a type yes but clearly, not in getting interviews, never mind about a job. That should speak volumes in itself.
The funny thing was that another counseling agency approached me a year after my training to see "where I was at". For shits and giggles, I told them I wanted pilot training by way of a type rating for an already experienced pilot. They said in 2003 that the rules had changed and now you needed a letter from a potential employer clearly stating that they would at least interview you and give you a job contingent in you getting a specific type rating.
I wish I had done a law degree. That would have been smarter & the money would have been better spent than my fancy smancy graduating certificate!
The best bit? Being turned down by the sister company to the training establishment for daring to ask about a temp ferrying job. I was told "please don't bother us again" after 6 months of patiently waiting and updating my credentials. From the CEO himself, no less. When I called the training dept, the FIRST thing they said to me was "we can't refund your course money"!!! What does that tell you about some of these so-called approved training organizations? Don't you think some of them were milking the system back then? Hey, it's govt. money for free, come to the trough...I felt really proud to be associated with the aviation community after that!! And no wonder the program was curtailed severely after that. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with equal horror stories.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's what I had to go through a few years ago and I have nothing to hide. Just telling it like it is (or was).
Good luck but I would advise getting something worthwhile with any funding you may find. In fact, I would go as far as saying you most likely will find a more hospitable approach from various agencies if you apply for anything other than flying!

Latest resources

Back