Underpaid Pilots Are No Comfort To Trave

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BigFlyr said:
Ameri-who?... Miami-what?... "I fly cargo" "Oh, why don't you become a commercial pilot?"... "Why don't you apply with UPS, they're hiring"...

Okay, so this is a little late, but...Ameri-who? Must be AmeriJET!! I was there 12/95 to 10/99. How about you???

I figured my salary out a few years ago. As an Eagle FO, (which I still am of course) I was paid less than a dollar per flight per passenger. I wonder if the average passenger knows this "Sure I'll fly you safely 400 miles through that weather to land at IFR mins,... but first, you got 90 cents??? That's less than a hotel van driver gets tipped.
Why don't I quit? Nah, nothing beats a sunrise from up there. Besides, UPS or Fedex will call me anyday now, right?

Ted Striker said:
**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, I thought I was the only one that used the "I transport aluminum tubing" line. Newman!

:D I always say ' I am In High Speed Aluminum Tubing" that really throws them. Of course there's the old standby ' I am a Locomotive Engineer" this one usually gets lots of respect.:D

I give a slightly different answer to the "what do you do" question. Flight Instructor still sounds impressive in some circles. Every question I answer that changes someone's opinion on those dangerous rich man's toys is at step to keep one more airport open.

Someday the answer might be "I manage assets, typically none worth less than 50 million." :D

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

I once heard of a 747 captain who told people that he drove an 18 wheeler. He said the plane had 18 wheels. I tell people I operate heavy equipment. They usually stop at that.

Don't you hate it when you go to work in uniform, and someone asks you how much it costs to fly to Phoenix? Don't they know that I don't pay to fly? Did they think that people handed me cash, and I stamp their ticket when they get on the plane? I love my job, but some of the questions I get are pretty funny.

Of course, one time after doing the posflight on the CRJ, this guy came up to me and thanked me, and shook my hand. I said why, and he said he was afraid to fly, and he really appreciated the work I do. Then his wife walked up with an infant in her arms. That just made it all worthwhile.

Latest resources

Back