Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Garrett "Plug"

Hey RJones!

Haven't had the opportunity yet to takeoff with anything plugged (yet). Those are generator inlet heaters. From what I understand they are factory installed (unlike 85% of anything else on the Turbo Commander), but I believe we replaced them at some point, hence the red color.

Garrett pilots do it louder.

B

I think the whole bullethole in the fuselage argument is a moot point if you use the right bullets. Back when I was shooting on a regular basis I remember seeing advertisements for "safety slugs" (made my a company called Glaser, I think), that were essentially birdshot surrounded by a thin lead jacket. The idea was that the bullets would break apart on impact, so if you missed the bad guy breaking into your house they wouldn't go through the wall and hit your kids sleeping in the next room. They were advertised as not being able to penetrate a layer of drywall, so I bet the same would hold true for an aluminum skin.
I haven't done any shooting in years, so I don't know if these bullets are still around, but it doesn't seem too difficult to me to design a bullet that can tear up a bad guy without punching through the fuselage.
My $.02 -- slow morning (as usual).

The B717 outflow valve is a rectangle about the size of a phone book. The default position for manual presurization control in flight is 1/3 open.

The overpressure relief valves are about the size of a softball, so that is the opening required to vent an overpressure. Doubt a small-arms bullet would do too much damage from a pressurization standpoint.

If a security guard with a GED can be licensed to carry a firearm, I think that a pilot with a 10 year background check, and an FBI background check should eb able to carry, given a small amount of training, which would be easily provided during initial or recurrent training.

Frangible rounds

You're talking about frangible rounds...

However, I have read on the calforum that a poster (a 73captain) was chatting with some Air Marshalls. Those guys are using Hydra-Shock rounds....those are no BS.

Chunk <---just gimme my Sig .40....I'll take a USP if that's all ya got! Wait, does this make me a gun nut?

your little hole...

I used to fly Falcons in cargo with doors so bent you could watch the city lights go by while crusing at FL350. So I vote against the bullet hole causing all sorts of unpressurized chaos.

heck - a well placed bullet may clear an MEL or two....

Latest resources

Back