Unbelievable letter to editor. USA Today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to pipe in on this one.

The problem with a bullet hole as I see it, is that the bullet will be tearing the skin creating cracks, thus the skin has lost it's structural integerty and with that the hole will get somewhat bigger, how much is anyones guess, and if it's an explosive decompression is also a guess. If a person took a drill to the aircraft while in-flight the results would be much different, quite simply after pulling the drill out the pressurized air would escape with little or no effect and the pilots wouldn't notice it up front.

Military fighter aircraft have skins that are much thicker and thus can withstand several rounds, the amount of rounds it would take to down that fighter would have to be counted after it's impact with the ground.

I wouldn't suggest that anyone try firing a bullet through the pressure vessle, nor drilling it just to see what happens. I have to imagine that someone has done some research into this.

I'm not totally convinced that the pressure vessle would explode or wouldn't explode, however, my feeling is the hole from a bullet would create a bigger one, just how much as anybody's guess.

RJ

Seem to recall it calculated in the past that the MD-11 could probably lose 2 cabin windows and still hold the cabin at normal cruise altitudes. 3 windows and it would start losing pressure, but not that fast.

I'm going to take RJones perspective on this. A projectile moving through any physical body is going to leave more damage than you or I can see.

And besides, Mr. Kline said that a bullet hole in would be "Inconsequential". What caused that bullet hole to appear in the side of a Transport Aircraft?

That might be consequential.

Generator scoop is plugged?

Buschpilot,

Is the generator scoop plug still in? Re: your picture of the Garrett.

Thanks for taking my position.:)

RJ

There are holes and then there are HOLES

I do know that the Saab 340 can lose ONE cabin window and still keep the cabin pressurized, so a single bullet hole would have to do a hell of a lot of damage to create a hole large enough to cause an explosive decompression...

Gotta say we flew the cargo version of the Triassic jet and there was no way we could operate with just one pack at altitude cause of all the holes, what with the hole they cut for the door and the "slightly" lessened level of maintenance in resealing holes in the pressure vessel during checks and such.

I am sure the cumulative effect was much more than a half inch hole.

I know that on one flight, (oddly enough, a day flight), I looked at the bottom of the entry door at altitude and saw a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap. Good packs.

I once spoke to a DHL pilot who said he wasn't worried about bullet holes, since he took off with a plane full of holes anyway. Perhaps a bullet might cause other damage than just a small hole, as the damage might do more. Anyway, my contention is that if someone was trying to take over my aircraft, I hope I hit the fuel tank, if they give me a gun. One aircraft crashing over flyover country is way preferrable to hitting a building full of people.

It is very simple guys, if you carry a weapon on your aircraft, spend some time at the range every month so the bullet ends up going into the perpetrator and not through the fuselage.

Also, make sure you use the lightest hollow point rounds you can find and no target is considered hit without two shots in it.

The military has had some experience with this and so it is not just speculation to say that aircraft can maintain pressurization when full of holes from small arms fire.

Right about the time I think I know what I'm doing, I get a hard reality check. I don't know how you guys know how many windows you can be missing and maintain pressurization. The first thing that comes to mind is the FA dinging you with an urgent message about somebody opening their window....yikes. Thanks for setting me straight. I have heard the phrase "It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt". Oh well. I'm sure most of you knew that about me by now. See Yoooooooooo!:D

PS. Seriously...WHERE did you guys get the info for how many windows your aircraft can be missing and still maintain cabin???

Latest resources

Back