Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
What's the deal with a student flying with another instructor if his usual instructor isn't available? Is this considered bad practice or something? Today the weather was real good but my instructor cancelled our X-country. No surprise there. I then asked another instructor if she'd mind flying it with me, and she looked absolutely dumbfounded as if I had spoken a foreign language. She then said "I can't do that to [my instructor]".

dang, was I out of line here or something? I wasn't trying to change instructors, I just wanted to fly as I had the day off from work.

Last edited:
I would try to stick to your instructor for "major" stuff like cross countries. He/she knows you and your flying abilities best, and is responsible for your preparation and what not.

If you just wanted to go up and fly around for fun, practice maneuvers, fly around the pattern...then I would say its an ok idea to fly with anyone.

It is even a good idea to introduce yourself to a "backup" CFI for days where you want to fly and your CFI is busy. This way everyone is comfortable with the situation.

I was really pressed for time when working on my Commercial Multi Engine and flew with another CFI once or twice so I could get a flight in when my CFI was busy. I was just getting in practicing maneuvers, emergencies, landings, etc....

Nope, you weren't

If i couldn't fly with my students because of my schedule, they were more than welcome to fly with another one at our school. Sometimes I would ask another instructor if they wanted to fly with them, because I wasn't feeling well or needed to do something else.

It was fairly common, I flew with other isntructors students, when the instructor was not available or the student wanted to knock out an additional lesson and I had the time (we would check with the students primary instructor to make sure that would be ok). Did it alot with night x-c's because there is only so much nite and if the instructor has a second job, he/she will need help

Next time your instructor cancels, ask if it would be ok if you flew with another instructor for that lesson, if he will be unable to do it. If he says no, ask him why...It is your time and cash.

Now, If you were my student and if the X-country was to get you ready for your solo X-C(not saying it is, jsut an example), I would probably have to say no, since I have to sign you off and want to make sure everything is up to par. So there may be a legit reason to say no.

UA-RESURRECTED said:
What's the deal with a student flying with another instructor if his usual instructor isn't available? .

Who is paying for the lesson? if your instructor is paying, I would say you stepped out of line. But If you are paying, YOU are the boss.

I had a similar situation years ago, but I was the replacement instructor. The student had about 15 hours, the instructor "no-showed", so he asked if I could go up with him. He should have been about to solo, but his instructor "does all the flying below 1000 feet". The instructor never let the student T/O or land. We did an hours worth of touch and gos. I solod him the next day. He never went back to his original instructor.

You are in charge of how you spend your money.

Okay, I guess you guys are right about the whole x-country situation. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't committed some type of mortal sin here, as I was a bit surprised by the other instructor's reaction to my question.

Thanks.

navigator72 said:
Maybe she thought you were hitting on her.

Maybe she had to take her BMW to get washed while she got her nails done, and really didnt want the extra money or flight time.

You were not out of line. As someone else pointed out, x-country is a biggie, and your instructor knows you. Each time I changed instructors (I went through 5 in quest of my PPL), I spent the first hour 'reviewing', or just flying around in circles. That's so they could figure out how badly I was going to ruin their career.

I can't believe the FBO owner keeps employees around that screw him out of billable time in airplanes with instructors.

One, the FBO management is out of line, because they can't hire people that can roll with the punches.

Two, she was out of line, because who the hell wants to fly with someone that lacks confidence in their syllabus or themselves.

Three, your instructor was out of line for going golfing instead of flying with you.

My FBO instructor did that to me once. I repaid the the FBO and the instructor, by selling my house and going to a 141 school where I could spend my money and fly airplanes with instructors in them.

Besides that, my instructor couldn't teach me to flare a 152 and always wanted to know if I was a "truck driver". I remember one time I walked into the FBO for lesson and he starts singing that old hip hop song, "never gonna get it".

Yea, I had my stumbling blocks, but there isn't anyone doubting my skills now.

FN FAL said:
Yea, I had my stumbling blocks, but there isn't anyone doubting my skills now.

...uh....not sure if I'd go that far :D

...and I agree with FN. Any CFI does that here and he/she can find themselves somewhere else to not teach. You're the customer. You want to fly and it's a safe, legal day to do so...get a CFI and go.

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back