• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boz

Report: UAL to name top exec
Wall Street Journal says board picked Tilton
By CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 3:11 PM ET Aug. 31, 2002

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Troubled UAL Corp. will soon have a new top executive, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday on its Web site.

Glenn Tilton will be named as soon as Monday when the UAL board is scheduled to meet in Chicago, the Journal said.

Tilton, who has no airline management experience, is presently vice chairman of the board at ChevronTexaco (CVX: news, chart, profile) and interim chairman at Dynegy (DYN: news, chart, profile), in which ChevronTexaco holds a stake.

Quoting sources close to the UAL decision, the Journal said Tilton, 54, was selected over John Walker, a UAL director who is chairman at Weirton Steel (WRTL: news, chart, profile), based on Tilton's leadership skills.

Tilton was chairman and CEO at Texaco before it merged with Chevron in October 2001.

The present executives would be expected to leave soon, the Journal said. Jack Creighton, UAL's interim chairman and CEO, announced in May that he would be leaving those posts. UAL President Rono Dutta and COO Andy Studdert would also step down, the Journal said..

Tilton would take over an airline that's in deep schism with its unions amid attempts to gain a federally guarantee for a $1.8 billion loan.

United Airlines' flight attendants union on Friday rejected management's proposed steps to slash costs by $9 billion over six years until a new top executive comes in with a recovery plan.

Echoing the position of the carrier's unionized pilots and mechanics, the flight attendants took issue with the offer as the airline scrambles to qualify for the federal loan guarantee.

United parent UAL Corp. (UAL: news, chart, profile) has until Sept. 16 to resubmit its application with the Air Transportation Stabilization Board, whose aid it hopes would help it stave off filing for bankruptcy.

Though details haven't been released, United's emergency cost-savings plans include employee concessions that would wipe out $1.5 billion a year in wages and benefits, canceled or deferred raises. Management also is calling for other work-rule changes toward making as much as $2.5 billion in annual cuts.

United says that chopping out $2.5 billion in expenses a year "will better align costs with anticipated future revenues and increase the likelihood that the company will qualify" for its loan guarantee.

That's an awful lot of money for a $1.8 billion backup, the flight attendants said. Like the pilots, the flight attendants suspect there's an underlying motive.

"The math doesn't add up," said union President Greg Davidowitch. "So, we ask again: Who's using whom?

"Is United using the ATSB as its heavy to extract huge concessions from its workers to cover for years of mismanagement?" he added. "Or is the White House attempting to dictate what airline workers in his country earn through the ATSB? Both scenarios are un-American."

The union, which represents more than 26,000 United flight attendants, reiterated that it wouldn't consider compromise without a viable plan and called for a new executive to replace Creighton.

"United management wants its employees to invest $9 billion of our hard-earned money in an airline with no plan and no leader," Davidowitch said. "While we continue to meet with the company, there will be no concession talks under these circumstances."

The pilots union, a much stronger force because of their 28 percent ownership position, took an even harsher stance, saying that the pricey request was "totally and wholly unacceptable."

Such tough attitudes do not bode well for quick recovery, say analysts at Standard & Poor's, which is keeping UAL's debt rating on watch with "negative implications."

"The scale and complexity of reaching concessionary agreements in a short time, the unions' initial very negative reaction, and United's long history of difficult labor relations imply that a bankruptcy filing is more likely than not," said S&P analyst Philip Baggaley.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. All I have to say to Rono Dutta and his crony Andy Studdert is "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. SEE YA!!!!" Now it's time to see United run like a business. Mr. Tiltons background should be very benificial to UAL.

Talk about walking right into the middle of a hornet's nest!!! Couldn't pay me enough in that position.

If this guy turns the company around, he will be the Second Coming!! Hope he can do it....for all of us.

MB

Min Guarantee?

I agree-sounds like good news-especially with Duh?ta gone along with Stoddard.

Kinda off the subject. I spoke with a 777 FO the other day from LGA who lives in my town. I asked him if everyone was still sticking to min guarantee and not flying extra with the furloughees still out here. He said that was kinda gone and everyone was picking up as much as possible- up to 81-85 hours instead of the 75 contract. Anyone care to comment if this is true. Not trying to start an argument-just curious.

Slug

Re: Min Guarantee?

I spoke with a 777 FO the other day from LGA who lives in my town. I asked him if everyone was still sticking to min guarantee and not flying extra with the furloughees still out here. He said that was kinda gone and everyone was picking up as much as possible- up to 81-85 hours instead of the 75 contract.

Slug,

Like any airline you are going to have the greedy pilots that simply could give a $hit about the furloughees. It is sad to see it, and it has been brought up time and time again at LEC/MEC levels and I guess some still don't get it. I do believe the majority of pilots I know to not conduct themselves like that. Again nothing scientific with my info. What UAL pilots can do is look at the CALREC (other pilots schedules) and see what is actually going on with another pilots schedule. Those that are greedy can easily be exposed and have it be known to others.

Anyway, I hope there are very few guys picking up the extra flying since it only keeps 844 of our family on the street longer.

Getting back to the orginal thread. I guess the next month is a busy one at UAL. Lots of things happening in a short amount of time. I won't even speculate on what could, should or might happen with the new changes. I do know that getting the new management team up to speed is going to be a top priority and hopefully will be the spark we have been in search of for sometime now.

Time will tell.

Latest resources

Back