Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UALjan15 said:
I know you aren't going to be happy until you have some flak, so here goes:

You say UAL doesn't have a new plan? I have to disagree! Mostly cynically, I imagined a worst case scenario management plan a couple of years back, and unfortunately, it is playing out by the numbers. First, they decided not to try to reinvent themselves as Southwest, Ted notwithstanding. They surmised that there would be room for one or two large, hubbed, international carriers in the new airline environment, and planned on being one of those. Strategy? Get their costs lower than AA, DL, NW, and CO. Do it on the backs of labor with an initial round of pay cuts and work rule changes (done), reorganization/termination of the pension plans for all empyees (in process), and one final pay cut in order to leave bankruptcy (just announced). Throw in renegotiation of leases and other debt, and you have the basic jist of it. The key is to get out of BK with this plan complete, and then dominate the legacy carriers that still are working under their enormous cost structures.

The problem with this thinking if true on management’s part is the fact that it would be foolish for them to believe, given the size of UAL, if they were to get their costs so low it would not create a domino effect in the industry. That would negate in the long run any initial CASM advantage since the others would eventually fall. And they have as is evidenced now with the downward pressures on NWA & DAL. In some ways, UAL will be the initial barometer of the future for legacy carrier’s labor contracts, just as they were in the past.

UALjan15 said:
What they didn't plan for was the price of jet fuel nearly doubling during BK (with no ability to hedge), and a revenue environment where domestic ticket prices have dropped 15% over the past year. Double-whammy pain. This environment will make it much easier to gut the pensions and get another round of concessions, however. On the other hand, it also makes it more likely that other legacy carriers will face BK and be able to institute the same basic plan.

Agreed. For the second round of labor attacks, it seems to be driven by exactly what you said. I don’t know If it will be that easy to get these cuts. I believe the judge in UAL’s bk has already told management to forget about deeper cuts in a hearing last time. I think UAL will face great pressure from the PBGC and they will/may ultimately seize assets should UAL terminate the plan. And last but not least, I think there will be an employee meltdown at UAL should these draconian cuts come.

The UAL employees would be fools to allow themselves to get into a situation like our friends at USAIR have done. Considering managements actions and statements to date about labor costs at UAL, USAIR is a crystal ball of what UAL employees will face soon. Time and again these pay cuts are like a crack pipe to management. They get addicted to the fact that labor will cave in fear of their jobs and will subsidize gross incompetence or mistakes or fill in the blank. There has never been an airline saved by employee concessions.

Your last sentence I touched on above.

UALjan15 said:
As for UAL's creditors, I wouldn't worry too much. If they are able to accomplish this plan and re-imerge, wouldn't you want a piece of the action?

That is hard to say not being privy to the books. On the surface however I would say no. Given the environment and condition of the industry I think the creditors are going to take their money and run. Eventually anyway.

UALjan15 said:
I agree with most of your predictions, especially the part about "big and ugly changes over there coming very soon," I just believe that those changes were part of the plan from the beginning, not just due to the failure of a turnaround business plan.

Your thoughts?

UAL Jan 15

That is a tough one. If you went with that theory you’d have to believe they predicted the future oil and revenue turmoil and planned accordingly. No doubt management was salivating over gutting the contracts but I don’t think it went any further than that. From the outside looking in, it seemed like UAL was trying different things while under the protection of Bk hoping there would be a fundamental change within the industry with improving revenues etc. etc. Obviously it hasn’t happen.

On a larger scale, my prediction is that unless there is some drastic change in fortunes, industry conditions or management philosophy, UAL may end up in a position like USAIR. All their assets leveraged, continuous reductions, continuous attempts to gut the labor contracts etc. etc. Although different animals, the trends are pointing to that scenario. When you look back at history of carriers in trouble, it is the same story every time.

I don’t think UAL will just vanish like USAIR is about to. They will be continually reduced in size and finally what is left will be merged with another legacy carrier. At this point there is too much value with the Int’l routes and assets to say anything different.

Personally, I think the saving grace for the legacy carriers will be the rebounding Int’l traffic and yields from those routes will support an anemic domestic system. Perhaps in UAL’s case it may not be to late if they can renegotiate the DIP financing and management can get some credibility back with the creditors and the banks.

Last edited:
18% pay cut (additional temp wage cuts up to 4% may be required)
Terminate A plan
Reduction in vacation accrual, sick leave pay other work rule changes
increased cost sharing for health, dental & drugs
eliminate short term disability
eliminate company paid accidental D&D
eliminate retire life insurance of future retirees
Modifications in profit sharing
Modifications in stock distribution

Boeingman said:
Personally, I think the saving grace for the legacy carriers will be the rebounding Int’l traffic and yields from those routes will support an anemic domestic system.
Yup...until some of the LCC's start flying internationally with big equipment. May not happen for ten or more years, but it will happen.

It is already happening with regard to Canada and Mexico. Westjet is making a huge push into the U.S. Frontier is flying to Mexico.

Cheers!

GP

The sad part of this whole UAL paycut is that no matter what ALPA and the pilot group think the company will get concessions. The goal should be to lower the amount of blow rather than allowing the company to take action in the courtroom.

I am crossing my fingers that UAL can pull through this mess.

g4g5-

You are absolutely wrong about the 18% paycut if you're talking about the UAL pilots in this latest round of concessions. 18% is a figure that you probaby heard that corresponds to how much of an "across the board" paycut we would have to take to meet our share of the 750M IF all we did was give up pay and nothing else. Since we know that it's not going to happen that way, the paycut will be less than that, probably a lot less than that but still painful.

J32,

They only have 1 757 right now, and they ordered future 738's (20) and some 7E7s (20) for the future.(how long will it take for that to happen? 10 Years?) Then they will have to get the infrastructure, like INTL gates, personel, slots etc..... It will take them forever. Even ATA was talking about going INTL, to German cities that aren't very popular---like Cologne.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Let's see....Ole' Jake was went up in the shuttle a time or two....and wasn't old Rodney the head of the DOT a while back..? This ought to have an interesting outcome...

Yes Primaris will configure its 737's with 95 business class seats and I believe it will configure its 7e7's with 150 seats. Remember MGM Grand
Air??? People will not pay for the extra's!!!! They want them for free!!!
So everyone fill out those applications and get a temporary job for 18 months before they vanish.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back