UAL/USAir 737s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skiandsurf

If these two merge, and the talk is to park 100+ 737s, why not use those to start a UAL/USAir point to point carrier to compete with SWA.

I just do not understand that with all the success that SWA has had, why no airline has tried to copy what they have done.

You're kidding right? Take 100+ older 737's and start a new company in this environment? Sounds like the expressway from "Large Fortune" to "Small Fortune".

SWA is a pretty unique case. Their hedges are a result of historically HUGE cash positions that were achieved from YEARS of profitability. They have had the luxury to price their product at a point where they make money. That flexibility is something no other airline has had and no new airline could could possibly achieve in this market.

No wait - This idea might have some merit!!

They could call it Shuttle by United or maybe Metro jet. What a great idea! :rolleyes:

Let me see, you can sit on this dinasour of an airline hub and spoke and watch SWA pick away at all the hubs (IAD, DEN, SFO), or you can reroute your existing planes to already staffed gates and compete in a proven model.

As far as Shuttle by United, I do not think they flew from ELP to AUS, or Spokane to Sacremento.

If you ever priced UAL vs SWA, you will see that SWA is not the low cost carrier, but they can charge more money for a direct flight.

You know the old saying, "if you cant beat 'em, join em".

No wait - This idea might have some merit!!

They could call it Shuttle by United or maybe Metro jet. What a great idea! :rolleyes:

Brilliant! Or maybe TED? or JetBlue? ....

Latest resources

Back