• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL series

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good rehash, those guys did there home work. Looking forward to part two, "UAL Bankrupt", then part three "UAL Exits Bankruptcy".

A nice historical perspective, to be sure.

There are lessons to be learned from this, such as taking a teamster-like approach to representation, which might have been fine in the 1960's, and trying to use it in the 80's and 90's.

I especially like the quote about choking the golden goose until it has produced every last egg. If you are an employee owner, is this the best approach to the long term health of your company?

"United is the biggest, strongest airline in the world, centered in the richest airline market," Glawe, the outgoing chief of the pilots union, said in a farewell message to members. "However, while we may hold a winning hand, if we misplay our cards, the consequences will be more severe than any we have ever known."

How prophetic. And sad.

I haven't read Part III yet, but I will read it this evening. At any rate, my $0.02 is the series is good and is a decent piece of journalism, but the writers could have gotten even more background had they read Flying the Line Vol. 2 and Hard Landing.

Take it from me, Denver will suffer big time if United fails and no other major steps in to fill the breach. Let's hope it does not happen.

Bobby,
From what I have heard on that is Delta would probably jump in before UAL had even left. SLC is taking D for everything and more. Was told by a friend on the 800 that he is tankering into SLC!!! Looks like they would fly out of SLC in formation to get the better deal at DEN.

DL for DEN

ATR-DRIVR said:
Bobby,
From what I have heard on that is Delta would probably jump in before UAL had even left. SLC is taking D for everything and more. Was told by a friend on the 800 that he is tankering into SLC!!! Looks like they would fly out of SLC in formation to get the better deal at DEN.
I've heard something like that as well. Also, Continental has talked about establishing a hub here - which would be a rich irony because Continental, along with United, provided major input into the design of DIA. The city was counting on a major CO presence and it all but left.

Denver would suffer not only because of lost United revenues, airport taxes, rentals, etc., but also because the United training center is here. I don't know how much United new-hire takes place in Denver, but I know that new-hire and upgrade classes are put up in hotels around the training center. These hotels would lose a lot of biz if United fails

A Delta presence would be great, especially if it brought in ASA, SkyWest, etc., to fly to such places as Durango. SkyWest would be a natural. Just the same, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back