• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL pilots treatment to Hudson FO...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was probably for later that day or the next day. Would you want to wait around for your own companies flight, or jump on the next one going? Especially if he commutes on UAL back and forth to work always. He's at home walking up and saying hello, even after that mess. That's what I'd do.

It would seem suspect, even for USAir...anyone VERIFY this story outside this board?

I don't think sending the guys home on a different airline is all that uncommon. It helps them remain a little more anonymous. The SWA guys who went off the end in Chicago went home on United *(coincidence?).

Co-Pilot in Crash-Landing Thanks Union
  • <LI class=byline>ByTed Reed, TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
  • Monday January 19, 2009, 4:21 pm EST
Updated from 2:44 p.m. EST
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- In the first public statement from a pilot of US Airways flight 1549, first officer Jeff Skiles has thanked his union for assisting him in the aftermath of the flight's emergency landing on the Hudson River on Thursday.
"You all need to know that when you are at the weakest, most vulnerable time of your airline career, USAPA will be there to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you," Skiles said in a letter to fellow members of the U.S. Airline Pilots Association. A copy of the letter was obtained by TheStreet.com.

When you're at your weakest, like being lauded throughout the world as a hero. Given the key to the city by the mayor of NY, and having a member of your crew invited as a special guest to the presidential inauguration. TOUGH TIMES! Thank heavens USAPA was there to try to ride these guys coat-tails!

USAPA, they have your back in tough times when, for example, you get fired for shooting a hole in the side of the plane. Oh, bad example. They didn't do anything for that guy, unless you consider sending everyone an email and asking for donations. It was basically equivolent to having a bake sale.

So as I see it, if you do something that makes you a hero, USAPA is right there at your side so they can be in all the pictures. If you do something stupid, you're pretty much on your own. Except wasting fuel running the APU across the Atlantic. Maybe that's a bad example.

I can't help but wonder if the FO is also hoping that his USAPA buddies are going to help him upgrade again, say perhaps by displacing a former America West captain *(who's occupying his rightful seat, right?).

Finally Ted Reed is a former USAir employee and an East pilot lackey. He's been righting pro-East drivel for some time. While I agree the entire crew acted heroicly, I think trying to include USAPA into the mix is like a race car driver holding up a Pepsi at the end of a race, thanking them. It's nice, but sort of a joke.

Flame away.

Not siding with USAPA, rather pilot representation...

When the FAA, NTSB, your company and the press are all hounding to get a piece of you for their own agenda, a fellow pilot with a game plan and a response team is exactly what you need...

Have you ever considered if you were the first pilot upon and incident or accident. How would you help your fellow pilots? Would you expedite them to a discrete hotel and pay the bill with your credit card?

Would you engage your LEC and MEC until the pilots own LEC could provide support?

This is a FEDEX union message to its pilots after the Tallahassee accident...

Loyalty, Integrity and Unity

(30 Jul Message Line) Comair Pilots "stood round-the-clock door security in
4-hour shifts for our pilots' rooms to prevent media and other unsavory
characters from entering. The FAA even attempted to get to the pilots
before representation personnel were there, and the Comair guys stopped
them."

Latest resources

Back