• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Pilots to wear leather jackets.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the old offices were cleaned out and the new breed moved in. A breed that also perpetuated themselves. At one time, you could never be an instructor of any sort unless you had flown the line for many years as a captain and knew every nuance of life on the line. All that went by the wayside with the New Age. Knowing someone 'in the office', whilst having no line experience and never being a seasoned captain, was inexperience and ignorance to be rewarded. As the Samurai sword-maker says: "All the blades are hidden within the metal." Yes, and the character of the blade certainly depends upon the quality of that metal."

I miss a time when the words 'in-flight service' was not an oxymoron. We once had - and this is true - such people as 'Stewards' and 'Stewardesses'. Food was served on plates with real silverware. Stewards poured champagne or mixed drinks. Stewardesses were charming, bright, and helpful, catering to the passengers' every need and whim. And the food was superb. Passengers even wore decent clothes, actually dressed for the occasion, and were well-mannered and civil.

This is all fiction now. Top executives sold the idea that an airline seat could be had for $24.99 or some other asinine figure. Then seats should be miniaturized so that maximum income could be gained. All that would have to be done is take away the salary and benefits of the company employees, among other ominous schemes. The airport became the new bus station. Everyman should be able to fly. Now we all pay for it with shoddy service, little concern, and certainly no enthusiasm. Why have master craftsmen do something for five hundred dollars when you can get a cheap imitation for $2.95?

And, naturally I miss the time when the professional airline pilot was respected, when he was not the target of the jealous and petty, or of some agency which needs to show a list of how many people have been inspected - and pilots are easy targets. Those of us who love flight and fought to fly have seen the profession deliberately disparaged to the point where we are to be collectively humiliated before the passengers with near strip searches, unable to speak up for fear of job loss, questioned, belittled, probed, drug-tested, and finally blamed for every company problem including top corporate ill-conceived tactics. We have become the popular scapegoat. And now it is not only the wages to be ravaged but retirement that was bargained for and promised. It may soon be common to have worked in the profession for 30 years and come away with absolutely nothing. That is, for the employees. It will be determined to be 'legal', which has nothing to do with the reality of honor. At least I am departing at a time when only one-half of my retirement has been confiscated. So far.

Even as I go, with unimaginable negativity, discord, and turmoil in abundance within the airline industry, the usual suspects are being rounded up. We are all being asked to do far more for far less while the lords and masters reap the personal fortunes of kings, taking absolutely no personal responsibility or accountability for their business decisions. Stealing the 30-year pensions of dedicated professional employees is considered the coup de jour. After all, how can that $30 million personal ski mansion be built, or the executive jet be flown, or the personal box at Monte Carlo for the Formula One Grand Prix be maintained, if that money is not confiscated?

We have clearly seen how these members of 'royalty' have placed themselves above and beyond the rules of sane, civilized behavior with exceptional arrangements to exclude themselves from any possible corporate downfall. Now, putting 20,000 people out of work brings forth a personal $20 million bonus. Fundamentals of dealing with human beings, basics known as ethics and honor and integrity, no longer have any meaning in this corporate world. The concepts are to be ignored at all costs. As I walk out of the door, making my exit from this morass, a huge burden is lifted from my shoulders. In general, morale and spirit are dead issues. The robber barons are fully exonerated for their crimes, while the public has been conditioned to feel that all people should be equal in misery - so the honorable profession of aviator is continually denigrated. Its stature and glory are now long gone, and as a Japanese friend remarked on the Japan of now versus what he knew as a young man, "It is as though the country has lost its soul." Indeed, this industry has suffered that very fate.
I have experienced great years of flying the big jets around the world. Sunrises and sunsets over the Pacific will play in my mind's theater forever. As best as could be done in the fleet of wide-body jetliners, I have played out my story of joy in the sky. Co-pilots have said, "Best trip I've had," and students not only learned the consequential things but enjoyed themselves in the process. Friends made in cities all around the globe will always be with me. I was there when it was not merely a profession but a celebration of flight, performed with quality and excellence, and with a good measure of fun. Now it is time to go and I am delighted that I can. Sure, there is a measure of sadness, but it is akin to grief over someone who has passed away. They are gone and we will miss them. But they are not coming back. We will keep the memories of the best, as they were, whilst realizing that we must carry on with our lives.

Last edited:
Again no one has an answer of how to attract top talent without a reward system. All lament of the good old days of a regulated industry where if your costs went up on your gov't granted route because the pilots wanted more money you just passed it along to the public. Dereg has created prehaps a 10 fold increase in pilot jobs you can not go back to the good ole days and keep those jobs. That is the reality of todays airline job market. I hear lots of "it is not fair" that managment does this and mangement does that. Who can save the industry and make the pilots happy at the same time. Again no one has an answer.

pilotyip said:
Again no one has an answer of how to attract top talent without a reward system.

Maybe it's because we disagree on what constitutes "top" and "talent".

I think short-term cannibals who don't work for the long-term viability of the airline are neither "top", nor "talent". The best way to attract top talent is grow your own. Reward good entry-level managers with promotions. TAke care of them. Nurture them. Provide them with an incentive to stick around.

The military doesn't bring in outsiders to lead. It develops them. Other successful companies do the same. Southwest has done a good job with home-grown managers. Perhaps it isn't unique to their niche?

Occam, so when does the first home grown top manager move into his job? That is not the reality at any of the airlines presently in BK or just coming out? They are desperate for someone to save the organization. Sounds like you want the ultimate servant leader, a guy when the times get tuff, he is the first one to take a pay cut, he turns down the 5M/yd job at XYZ, because he is an airline guy at heart and wants to see his boys win. If you find one clone him, everyone could use one of those.

pilotyip said:
Occam, so when does the first home grown top manager move into his job?

Already there. Gary Kelly (CEO of Southwest) is essentially a "home grown" CEO. He's been with SWA for about 20-years, and before that he worked their account for Arthur Young & Co.

I think there might be others from within the industry who can fill the positions. The only reason cannibals are brought in from other industries is because the BOD's push for short-term results.

The trend started in the 80's, and was taken to extreme by raiders like Icahn, Lorenzo, KKR, Marvin Davis, etc. They brought in their own cannibals whose expertise wasn't running airlines...but upstreaming cash to the raider.

Labor reacted slowly to the changes these bozos wrought on the industry because we only have leverage when our contracts are amendable, and the Railway Labor Act gives more power to managements.

There are plenty of people working for airlines with the experience and the ability to run airlines. If you're suggesting that only outsiders can run an airline, then we'll just have to disagree on that.

pilotyip said:
Sounds like you want the ultimate servant leader, a guy when the times get tuff, he is the first one to take a pay cut, he turns down the 5M/yd job at XYZ, because he is an airline guy at heart and wants to see his boys win.

Nah, I want to see leaders. Folks who aren't here just to cash in.

This is a service industry. Airliners don't get passengers from LAX to JFK....people do! Airline people. Mechanics, dispatchers, agents, pilots, and flight attendants. Unless you can pay every one of those airline people top pay, they are going to need some other form of motivation to provide good service...or, when times are rough, to step-up and help their company cope with down-cycles.

Motivation can be purchased with leadership. Someone who feels your pain when times suck, and rewards your efforts when they improve is going to find it easier to keep his/her workforce happy and willing to help. That leads to more financial flexibility. That is good for the long-term viability of any service company.

pilotyip said:
If you find one clone him, everyone could use one of those.

They exist! Right here in the industry. We need to motivate the BOD's and managements to use them...instead of the cannibals.

I posted some suggestions for starting the process of turning this ship around. It won't happen overnight, but I believe it can happen.

Last edited:
Point made, I hope you are right.

pilotyip said:
Point made, I hope you are right.

Me too! Then I would print it out and show it to my wife the next time I get lost trying to find the #$%@! boutique her friend swears is "precious"!...or when I spout, with implacable authority, that there is "no way that laptop will seize-up now that I've cleaned the registry!"

I need points!

I enjoyed reading this thread. As bleak as things are, its nice to read some levelheadedness and cautious optimism....

Hey...I have to ask....is a college degree required to be management? ;)

Latest resources

Back