UAL pensions saved...!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green

We have good news to report. Today, U.S. District Court Judge John Darrah reversed orders previously entered by the Bankruptcy Court allowing the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) to terminate the United Airlines Pilots’ Benefit Pension Plan effective December 30, 2004. This reversal means that the pilot pension plan should not have been terminated and should be in effect as of today.

On October 26 and 28, 2005, Bankruptcy Judge Eugene Wedoff issued a written decision and orders terminating the Pilots’ Plan. In his written opinion, Judge Wedoff stated that he had the authority to enter orders terminating the plan. URPBPA appealed the decision to the District Court and today, Judge Darrah issued an opinion reversing the termination decision as he found that the Bankruptcy Court did not have jurisdiction and that only a District Court would have the authority to consider whether or not the Pilots’ Plan should be terminated.

The PBGC may attempt to have a higher court reverse Judge Darrah's order. URPBPA will resist any such efforts. Unless a higher court reverses Judge Darrah, his order will remain in effect.

If the PBGC does not appeal Judge Darrah’s order, but otherwise continues pursuing its efforts to terminate the Pilots’ Plan, it may seek a termination order from District Court Judge Joan Lefkow, the Judge to whom the case was originally assigned. She is the Judge who will have the authority to decide whether the Bankruptcy Court's prior findings will be accepted and whether a new order terminating the Pilot Plan should or should not be entered. URPBPA will have the opportunity to object to the entry of any order to terminate the Pilots’ Plan. URPBPA will continue to defend the preservation of the pilot pension plan and resist all attempts to terminate the plan.

Source?

If the pension termination is upheld, the PBGC will still have to pay out the 30 some thousand a year to the pilots right?

I believe that although the decision was overturned- it is more of a jurisdictional item that will be taken care of with some legal housekeeping. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I for one don't see it changing the realities. And for others plying the waters of pension "unburdening" in the near future, Capt. Ramius said it best, "he won't be making that mistake again".

FYI- that was a message from the retired UAL pilots organization

pipejockey said:
If the pension termination is upheld, the PBGC will still have to pay out the 30 some thousand a year to the pilots right?

That all depends on how old you were when you retired. If you were 57, you will now get around 18K a year. This is a far cry from 30K.

Hutchman said:
That all depends on how old you were when you retired. If you were 57, you will now get around 18K a year. This is a far cry from 30K.

Hutch,

I was at the FBO of my local airport yesterday and something happened that might surprise you. A pilot that retired from UAL in 2004 was at the airport in his brand new Cirrus SR22. He had just moved to the city I live in, bought a house on the water and needed an airplane to go see the grandkids. I had never met him before but overheard him mention UAL and his retirement. I talked with him awhile and believe it or not he seemed very happy.

He had a big B-fund and other investments that took care of him. If you are ERJ guy and your father is retired. Perhaps it is the lifestyle or bad choices he made that put him in a different boat than this other retiree.

32LT--I believe hutch was referring to the PBGC payouts.TC

Green said:
a legitimate one...If I had some spare change to gamble with I would short the stock tomorrow.

I've got the spare change but when I tried to short the stock my brokerage wouldn't let me. There is a 30 day waiting period before you can short it at least through Scott Trade. In 30 days it will be at 20 or less. I was looking forward to making a few bucks.

Latest resources

Back