• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL orders IPADs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, so now it's official! Chief Pilot's office in EWR has put out a blast mail....
Also a chief pilot blast mail does not make it official. They routinely put out misinformation, anti-union misdirection, and are often simply wrong. If there was a system bid "with vacancies" every time they told someone this CAL would have 10K pilots by now.

CPs are at the bottom of the food chain and are often used by management to float a trial balloon, counter union successes, or just wear pilots out with rumors and conflicting info.

Last edited:
The FAA approved the iPad for inflight use without an alternate power source. Not sure what the charging procedure will be.

The iPad will NOT be an EFB......Thus no mounting bracket or alternate power source required....it will have Jepps/enroute charts, AOM, FOM & MEL.....because it will not be an EFB, we will have to use paper charts still.....thus the ship sets coming in Oct....it will be turned off below 10,000 Feet......this is all directly from Steve Arnold.

The iPad will NOT be an EFB......Thus no mounting bracket or alternate power source required....it will have Jepps/enroute charts, AOM, FOM & MEL.....because it will not be an EFB, we will have to use paper charts still.....thus the ship sets coming in Oct....it will be turned off below 10,000 Feet......this is all directly from Steve Arnold.
?! So it's simply to use to study manuals at cruise?

It won't include any Jepps or enroute charts. They want to move to that, but until they can resolve the bracket, power source, and safety features involved with FAA certification, it's pointless. I don't understand why we're getting them if it can't be used as an EFB.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I was told the break even point with the ipad verses the cost of paper revisions is five years.........I imagine that will be accelerated when they get finally get approval to use it as an EFB....then paper Jepp revisions will be gone.....so the company is probably looking a a substantial savings over the long haul by doing this....that answers why we are getting them....

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I was told the break even point with the ipad verses the cost of paper revisions is five years.........I imagine that will be accelerated when they get finally get approval to use it as an EFB....then paper Jepp revisions will be gone.....so the company is probably looking a a substantial savings over the long haul by doing this....

There is also the cost savings of OJI's.

Our manual updates that will be constantly changing during the merger process would cost a lot of ink and trees as well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back