• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rottweiller

United pins hopes to fare hike after a rocky February

March 25, 2005

High fuel costs and a fierce fare war continue to add to red ink at United Airlines, but the company's chief executive said Thursday the carrier could get a boost from a recent fare increase.

United lost $291 million in February after fuel costs soared $57 million over the same period a year earlier. About $92 million in losses came from reorganization expenses as the company tries to emerge from 27 months in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

United CEO Glenn Tilton said the airline industry continues to suffer from low fares stemming from oversupply in the market. United plans to make further cuts to its domestic flight schedule, including a possible reduction in its regional United Express fleet, officials said Thursday.
''Moderating capacity growth is necessary to realize higher fares,'' Tilton said Thursday in a phone message to employees.

Tilton added that a $10 round-trip fare increase on domestic flights implemented this week ''may well stick.'' United and several other carriers matched the increase that Continental Airlines Inc., put in place last week.

United said its main domestic fleet will have 455 planes by the end of the third quarter, down 69 aircraft, or 13 percent, from mid-2004.

United also reiterated its plan to replace traditional pensions with defined-contribution plans in hopes of saving $4.1 billion over five years. It faces a May 11 bankruptcy court trial if it can't agree with its unions on the issue.

''Our goal remains to reach agreement with our unions on this issue,'' United Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said.

Rottweiller said:
United CEO Glenn Tilton said the airline industry continues to suffer from low fares stemming from oversupply in the market. United plans to make further cuts to its domestic flight schedule, including a possible reduction in its regional United Express fleet, officials said Thursday.
''Moderating capacity growth is necessary to realize higher fares,'' Tilton said Thursday in a phone message to employees.

Dude, thas will never happen. The emb-190s will just keep rolling in.

Perhaps that's their way of saying "We think Air Wisconsin is about to exit our system."

Or........................maybe not.

Flechas said:
Hmmm maybe not more 170s for chitaco.....

I would think they would get rid of the 50 seatRJs (or smaller ones)before the 170

Just makes more sense to me but what do I know

Besides..all of our 170 orders have already been confirmed by United last week

EMB170Pilot said:
I would think they would get rid of the 50 seatRJs (or smaller ones)before the 170

Just makes more sense to me but what do I know

If it makes sense, it won't happen....You'll be displaced to the 145, which means paycut, oh wait, the pay is the same nevermind...

EMB170Pilot said:

Yeah.... because United never renigs on a contract. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

This is just propaganda from UAL to scare the feeders into further lowering their cost. RJ's will outnumber domestic mainliners in 2 years at Untittied.

Latest resources

Back