Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

I just read through some of the new UAL TA (posted in the "Majors" section of this website).

It said that if feeder carriers want to fly RJs bigger than 50 seats, they must provide opportunities for furloughed UAL pilots to fly them. It also said the specific details would be negotiated later.

I had heard earlier that AWAC was doing something or thinking about it to help furloughed UAL guys.

So, what do ACA/AWAC/SkyWest think about this JFJ business?

Cliff
GRB

I think it is a good idea IF the furloughed UAL pilots go to the bottom of the respective company's seniority list. I do not think that this should be an automatic job, just preferential interviews.

UAL did this for Westair when those pilots were furloughed. It also would behoove United to try and keep their furloughed pilots current.

As far as what it would do for the UAX carriers...well, it would give them more flying opportunities.

Any other thoughts?

GP

In the little that I've read of the TA, all it says is that feeders can fly aircraft of a seating capacity greater than 50, as long as job opportunities are presented to furloughed pilots.

What's the problem? I didn't see any requirement that they fly these new aircraft, just that they get a job offer.

Granted, it did say something like "on terms to be negotiated later", but the TA doesn't bring up skipping seniority.

No problem giving the UAL guys preferential hiring - BUT it is at the bottom of our seniority list - No different then if I got hired at United.
What I am really interested in is if MESA or somebody else bites on the Jets 4 Jobs and gives UAL furloughs Super Seniority in exchange for 70 seaters.

Mesa isn't giving the US Airways furloughees any kind of seniority. They are all starting at the bottom. With the exception of 50% going to the left seat. However, even those pilots are starting with bottom seniority.

Therefore, I doubt that they would give any kind of seniority deal to the UAL pilots.

That's one h*ll of an exception.

Just because they're on the bottom of the list doesn't mean they didn't bypass seniority. After all, they're on the bottom and they're captains.

I seriously doubt anyone would vote for that at ACA.

With the exception of 50% going to the left seat?????????? And thus they are making more than your F.O.'s who are senior, correct??? Thank you MESA..... I know that will never pass at ACA.

This furloughed deal has always been on the table with ACA. But what comes into play is the strings attached which you and I don't know.
Hows things going EOPILOT? Well, I better get ready for bed. Have a mission in the morning.

Terry V.

46Driver said:

What I am really interested in is if MESA or somebody else bites on the Jets 4 Jobs and gives UAL furloughs Super Seniority in exchange for 70 seaters.

From that statement it appears that you have missed completely what has already happened.

The following airlines have either been force fed or "bitten" on the USAirways Jets for Jobs protocol: ALG/PDT/PSA, Midway, Mesa, and of course the new alter ego called Republic. To date, the only remaining hold out is TSA.

Acceptance of the "protocol" requires abrogation of existing contracts and acceptance of "super seniority" for the pilots transferring from the "mainline". It has been swalloed hook, line and sinker, by the affected regional pilots.

Credit is due to the CHQ pilots who have refused, so far, to be coerced and are now faced with Republic as a result.

Also, it's not about 70 seaters only. The current Jets for Jobs protocol affects ALL regional jets. Don't forget that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back