• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL hiring soon?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got it. Its JB rates. And to think for a moment I though that billion dollar swing had to do with fuel prices almost trippling, the dot com 90's going "poof", the last minute business traveller willing to pay anything anytime out of his unlimited travel expense account going away and a recession, a war and a new security paradigm burden the likes of which our nation had never seen. I now see it is primarily our fault. It is we who set the pay ceiling, and you who set the floor.

Not just JB rates, as I have posted REPEATEDLY. I’m talking JB and UA because I’m UA and you’re JB.

Fuel has nothing to do with pilot rates. We all pay for fuel so it’s a constant among all airlines. It would be ridiculous for any airline’s management to say, “our fuel costs are high so therefore your pay has to come down.” I don’t think anyone has, either. All the things you mentioned did not make UA, for example, have to pay its Airbus pilots JB pay rates. If everyone is paying the same for their pilots, it doesn’t matter if oil goes to 100 bucks a barrel or the economy slips into recession. It may affect the AMOUNT of flying that we all do, but it should not affect pay rates if everyone is paid the same. What does affect narrowbody pay rates, however, is when we have many competitors paying rates that are significantly below industry norm and using those rates to subsidize their company’s bottom line. That’s what happened in the early 2000’s when the economy took a dump, and that’s what I fear will happen when Skybus, Virgin, and the inevitable copy cats come along and reach critical mass themselves.

Last edited:
I spoke to a couple United pilots last week who seemed to think they'd be hiring, or at least interviewing, by the end of the summer. That coincides with what I have observed and been told by my United connections in recent months. UAL has a lot of appeal for me too, primarily because of their bases and my disdain for commuting. However I am nervous about how pro-merger the management seems to be. They don't seem to really care about the employees or the customers. Guess only time will tell.

jr

The chance of UAL merging with another is something one applying to UAL might want to consider. I guess I really don't have to tell anyone how the bottom of either airline's seniority list can be hurt if a merger were to occur.

Thank God for CLiff's notes

did anyone read all that? or did they skip to this post? college essays ended long ago.

Yeah, basically he was all like "my airline can beat up your airline" and I was like "I know you are but what am I?" Then he was all like "your momma so fat she jumped up in the air and got stuck!" And I was all like "Oh, no you didn't!"

Yeah, basically he was all like "my airline can beat up your airline" and I was like "I know you are but what am I?" Then he was all like "your momma so fat she jumped up in the air and got stuck!" And I was all like "Oh, no you didn't!"

All you have to do, Iron, is read the first paragraph. In Post 18, second paragraph, third sentence you wrote (and I summarize) that you were "alarmed" about pilot pay rates at Skybus and Virgin. Why did you spend PAGES trying to convince me that the LCC airlines, like JetBlue, were not responsible for the downward spiral of airline pilot wages in the U.S., yet say that you are alarmed about the pay rates at Skybus and Virgin? Why be alarmed, Iron? Surely JetBlue (and others with their pathetic pay early 2000 rates and retirments) had nothing to do with the industry having to come down to wages that "coincidentally" ended up looking a lot like JetBlue, Frontier's, and AirTran's. (+/- a few %'s)

In closing, don't be alarmed, Iron. Skybus and Virgin and Allegiant and their future copycats will do NOTHING to harm your pay rates or ours. Just as JetBlue's (and the other LCC's) did nothing to harm the rates at AMR, CAL, UAL, etc., etc. Don't worry when Virgin starts ops out of SFO in direct competition with your transcon flights. Don't worry that your JetBlue Captain ALONE will be making more than the entire flight crew on that Virgin Airplane. If JetBlue can't compete against that huge cost disadvantage, you can blame it on such things as "poor JetBlue management decisions" and such, like the LCC guys blame the legacy managements in the post 9/11 world.

I sincerely wish you guys good luck as I have friends over there who have had rough careers and don't need what I suspect will start to happen this summer when Virgin and Skybus start ops. Virgin, in particular, is going to undercut you guys on every transcon market they compete against you in, and you're going to need help. We are too.

Last edited:
There are a few factors weighing down on wages at the legacies, and the legacies themselves.

in order:

-Oil prices
-LCC that pay less of if not pay less, get a lot more productivity (AirTran, Spirit, Frontier, VA, JB, SkyBus, et al)
-LCC's that are well managed like WN with one type, and lower costs due to economies of scale and lower training costs for all employees.
-anti-union sentiments in our country and with in our profession.. people just don't get it, unions ARE NEEDED.. in this profession where there are 3 top shelf applications for ever job!

Page 2, paragraph 18, line 3, etc.

In consideration for all those with ADD who don't usually bring themselves to read any post over one page (myself included most of the time) I will limit my response to the specific charge of hyppocracy for which you called me out on.

Yes, I am alarmed by SB and VA pay rates. There are many carriers, recent start up and well established, who pay on par with VA/SB though, and although disturbing, I am not alarmed about. Here's why: From the dawn of the airline industry til now, without a time period of exception, almost every start up and LCC model has falied. Some right out of the box, others years or decades later. But they almost all fail. Always have, always will, regardless of their pay rates (or lack thereof).

That being said, 100% of all start up/LCC's had relatively low pay, yet the vast majority still wound up not making it. In many cases being absolutely crushed by legacy airlines with dramaticaly higher pay. If pilot pay is the single, most overwhelmingly dominant variable (more so than oil, terror and all the other variables) then start up/LCC's should have a much higher success rate.

Many airline today have very low pay. Although worthy of noting, the rates of Allegiant, MaxJet, SunCountry, Champion, Chautauqua/SkyWest/Mesa (for their 86-100 certified seat turbojet rates) and many others, do not alarm me nearly as much as the similar rates for SB/VA. The reasons are similar, but differ enough I will state them seperately.

Virgin America really worries me, not simply because of their 95/hr pay rates for A319/320's but because they have unlimited deep pockets, a foreign owner/controller 100% in charge (despite the fake charade of holding companies that's set up) and its schoolyard playground mission in life to be a permanant player in our domestic system. Not to mention, they are a legacy right out of the box. That has never happened before. Start ups always pay less because they have to in order to survive. As noble as it may seem to you or I, no start up is going to pay "UAL/JBU plus" at 12 year pay out of principal. On day one, VA will have brand recognition equal to or greater, all over the nation, than almost any other airline. Then, probably later this year, their unlimited Virgin Atlantic codeshare will be rubberstamped by our govt. and they will be an instant, out of the box, global legacy/high yield first class, brand powerhouse. So Allegiant paying a junior Captain 60-80/hr bothers me far, far less than VA, even if VA were paying legacy rates right off the bat, and of course they are not.

SkyBus worries me because they are on the abosute floor for pilot pay in the nation for what they will be flying, AND (much more importantly) they are incredibly well funded and are attempting to change the landscape of the domestic travel industry here. I do not know if they will be successful or not, but the Ryanair model, if it works here, will cause an implosion of our domestic travel system. All the rest of us will be caught with our pants down with no way to compete without radically re-engineering our products and business models, something no airline is too terribly good at doing.

SB can be stopped. Not by denying the J/S to their pilots, but by some good old fashioned, unofficial, off the books, gentelmans agreement hard core collusion. Each airline pick just a handful of their routes, eat the loss by undercutting them, hide the true cost via connections to places SB doesn't fly, and bury them. If we do not do this, and their Ryannair brand takes off, we're screwed, no matter how much they pay their pilots, but you are right, 65K/yr will definately accelerate the inevitable.

VA can not be stopped. Branson will bleed billions through his money to make this work, laundering money though fake companys and rubber stamping yes men "citizens" to make sure his will be done, in the US as it is in the UK, amen. So I have no solution for VA, but SB is something we can nip in the bud right now. But in typical airline management fashion, no one will really try until they get too big/self sustaining, and then it will be too late.

The problem will lie in the future when we see what kind of returns these new "Start ups" are making on the backs of their lower cost labor.. IF, they're not making money, we really can't say much to the pilots who are there hoping for a ground floor opportunity.. if on the other hand, VA, and Skybus start setting record quarterly profits on the backs of that cheap labor, then it will be time for a reckoning! In the end, what matters is how much your company makes and how much of that YOU get paid.. not what you fly, otherwise I should get paid $128/hr next year instead of $64! :eek:

The problem will lie in the future when we see what kind of returns these new "Start ups" are making on the backs of their lower cost labor.. IF, they're not making money, we really can't say much to the pilots who are there hoping for a ground floor opportunity.. if on the other hand, VA, and Skybus start setting record quarterly profits on the backs of that cheap labor, then it will be time for a reckoning! In the end, what matters is how much your company makes and how much of that YOU get paid.. not what you fly, otherwise I should get paid $128/hr next year instead of $64! :eek:

You are absolutely right V7, and in the interest of brevity I neglected to mention that extremely important variable. While ualpiot makes some compelling arguements, he/she is absolutely wrong with the assertion that as an individual or as a pilot group in general, the same rates would be demanded in pay negotiations regardless of the profitability or unprofitability of a company in question. Part of how hard you choke the golden goose depends on how many eggs you think it is able to give you. If UAL is losing money in 2009, or breaking even, or enjoying massive profits, you will see a different bargaining approach by their NC and it WILL effect what is denanded by labor, guaranteed. Same is true of every other airline out there.

To say that if your airline is making billions per quarter, or about to liquidate doesn't matter and you will insist on the same pay rates in either case as a matter of principal is clearly false.

Also to say that pilot/labor pay is the only swing variable, and that fuel, security fees, etc. are universal therefor the only thing effecting the success of an airline is labor pay is equally false. If fuel dropped to 20/barrel tomorrow, the profits of the airlines would soar, and every pilot group in negotiations would point to those profits as justification for higher pay. I know I would.

Latest resources

Back