UAL Decision Soon Amid Worries/Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
Re-read the string. Potrack and NuGuy were calling AirTran, America West and Jet Blue pilots "whores".

Of course, they conveniently forget how they came by their jobs . . . be it PFT, being related to someone, kissing ass, whatever . . . . .

Anyway, I'm outta here. You guys have fun.
TY,

WTF are you talking about? Please post a quote from that message. I am sure I never said such a thing.

Best,
Nu

F9 Driver said:
Frontier wanted a line of credit from ATSB in case UAL got their loan, but ATSB only would back a loan, so we took it. We paid it back IN FULL - taking a prepayment penalty in the process, and still owe warrents to the govt.

We were never close to cutting capacity. If UAL weren't able to price irrationally under BK protection we'd be MORE profitable and bigger. IMHO

Flame away....
So it is bankrupt UAL's fault that Frontier is, relatively speaking, a weak perfroming LCC? If F9 is getting pinched a bit by TED's CASM being down somwhere in the ball park of F9's, imagine how bad the squeeze would be if you guys had to go head to head with say Richard Branson's boys in a post UAL world? Of course, Sir Richard would be having a field day after picking up a chunk of UAL's A-320 fleet for next to nothing. What I am saying is that if competeing against a bankrupt UAL is troublesome, there could be much worse things coming down the pipeline to worry about for a weaker LCC like F9.

Mugs said:
So it is bankrupt UAL's fault that Frontier is, relatively speaking, a weak perfroming LCC? If F9 is getting pinched a bit by TED's CASM being down somwhere in the ball park of F9's, imagine how bad the squeeze would be if you guys had to go head to head with say Richard Branson's boys in a post UAL world? Of course, Sir Richard would be having a field day after picking up a chunk of UAL's A-320 fleet for next to nothing. What I am saying is that if competeing against a bankrupt UAL is troublesome, there could be much worse things coming down the pipeline to worry about for a weaker LCC like F9.
No. I don't blame UAL for Frontier's 2004 profit Mugs. I just think that if UAL were forced to price their tickets to make a profit (or at least break even) in BK then we would be able to make some MORE money.

Don't speak of Ted's (thanks Enron disciples) CASM until you can show numbers to prove them. Tilton can't. So how can you?

I was just responding to FDJ2's assertion that we would have reduced capacity if not for the ATSB loan.

OK fine. Let's say then that TED's CASM is the same as mainline United. Then that speaks even more poorly for F9 getting pinched competing against a higher cost operator, BK or not. My point is how will you do competeing against an ultra low cost carrier that would undoubtedly gun for you in a post-UAL environment? They will be far more stripped down than the current UAL. By the way, are you expecting TED's fares to balloon if and when UAL exits BK? Given the lack of pricing power throughout the industry, I think that is very unlikely. UAL will match you, future competition will undercut you.

Hey Mugs,

I agree with you. Life for F9 would be worse without UAL at Denver.

I hope that UAL sticks around. Not just for F9's sake, but for my fellow pilots and workers there. I just take issue with how they are doing business.

I guess I'll just wait for the ATSB to come ask me. Don't worry I packed a lunch:)

NuGuy said:
TY,

WTF are you talking about? Please post a quote from that message. I am sure I never said such a thing.

Best,
Nu

Sorry, after reviewing the string, I see that it was Potrack, not you. My apologies.

It is not the bankrupt companies bringing us down, it is the guys that whore themselves out for 60 something an hour, are willing to waive FARs, deal with unsavory work rules, and have other airlines fail, just for...........the 'Love of being a pilot'

NuGuy.......I agree

"So it is bankrupt UAL's fault that Frontier is, relatively speaking, a weak perfroming LCC? What I am saying is that if competeing against a bankrupt UAL is troublesome, there could be much worse things coming down the pipeline to worry about for a weaker LCC like F9."

Mugs,

What do you refer to when describing F-9 as one of the weaker airlines? Is it that their market capitalization is one of the strongest in the inustry? That they have no debt except for their brand new "owned" A-319s? Or maybe they are the weakest because they are one of a handful of airlines that reportrd a profit last year. Is it because they are expanding by 40 percent this year? I have managed very large aviation companies in the past and I am at a loss for you characterization of F-9 being the weakest airline in the business. Can you help me out.

BTW, operating against a BK carrier is a big reason F-9 is not performing even better than they are now. BK carriers tend to operate like drunken sailors when it comes to pricing. I don't fault UA for doing this. BK is a very valuable business tool, unfortunately it is not very fair to the competition in the short term. I would much rather compete with SWA or Virgin than UA in BK, however, I would much rather compete with a non-BK UAL than anyone if they can emerge.

Latest resources

Back