• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Contract 2003 & LOA 05-01?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow! What a deal for the UAL guys! We make 2 concessions: banding stays (a mistake in my opinion regardless), AND the 747 as the largest plane on the property doesn't get its own band. For those 2 quids, you give one concession by eliminating the 767/777 banding. With friends willing to cut deals like that, who needs enemies?

After this reaction, I have a feeling the only thing that would make you happy is no compromise whatsoever. Count me in as thrilled to join Team UAL then. This gives a 763 driver a significant raise, but that's probably not a real widebody to you. If you band the 320 to the 800, it's a means to get things closer to DAL-NWA deal. Doesn't Wendy keep holding that mantle as how she wants things done?

And for the frosting on the cake, let's piss of the senior guys, well, just because they have it coming to them. I mean, no one else flies those widebodies except senior Captains........right?
!
AWWW poor senior guys! Let's see how rough they've had it...

UAL:
1) Contract 2000 loaded to their favor
2) BK contract weighed towards screwing NB guys first and foremost
3) Age 65
CAL:
1) BOHICA to the 10 power Contract 2002 just to save sliver of A fund
2) Age 65

But lets take care of these guys at others expense once again by wasting negotiating capital. We must ensure their egos as whale drivers are matched by their paychecks...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man, you just don't get it.

Man, you just don't get it. Reread post 14.

So the facts of the matter today are: UAL 747 = 777 pay and CAL 767 = 777.

Now who's making the grab? Join the team and let the JNC try to float the entire widebody fleet higher and not just a small segment of it, unless that isn't your intention. This benefits the entire combined pilot group by keeping more pilots in the highest pay category...and preventing unnecessary infighting between pilot groups when there is more important business to tend to.

Join the team? Is this a pep rally of some sort?

Who's making the grab? Hmmm....what did your ALPA rep say in public forum about banding? Was that statement contrary to ALPA merger policy? Did he not say he wanted banding because it would help your side with SLI? Pick up your telephone and ask him. Don't believe some guy on an internet forum.

Banding is concessionary. Why do YOU want banding at all? If the answer is, well because we already have it, then we already have crappy scope and Aer Lingus. Should we keep that too?

If you absolutely must have banding and we want to keep the most pilots in the highest banding categories, shouldn't we fight for the highest 777 band possible and then increase 747 pay even higher than that as the largest, most productive airplane in the fleet?

After this reaction, I have a feeling the only thing that would make you happy is no compromise whatsoever. Count me in as thrilled to join Team UAL then. This gives a 763 driver a significant raise, but that's probably not a real widebody to you. If you band the 320 to the 800, it's a means to get things closer to DAL-NWA deal. Doesn't Wendy keep holding that mantle as how she wants things done?

If we don't want banding, and we go with banding, isn't that a compromise? During negotiations, when one side compromises for you, should compromise not be expected perhaps on a different issue important to them? To me, it sounds like we're going to be stuck with some sort of banding, contrary to the direction provided to our MEC. Is that an example of "no compromise whatsoever" that you mention?

In your 767-300 example, the 767 guys I assume would get a raise? But at what expense? For example, let's say we banded all our aircraft into ONE pay band. Do you think that "one band" pay rate would be higher or lower than the highest hourly rate we would have otherwise negotiated had we not had pay bands? It would likely be lower, right? So adding the 767-300 pay to the 777 band is likely to lower what those larger aircraft would pay otherwise. Is that a good thing or bad thing?

AWWW poor senior guys! Let's see how rough they've had it...

UAL:
1) Contract 2000 loaded to their favor
2) BK contract weighed towards screwing NB guys first and foremost
3) Age 65
CAL:
1) BOHICA to the 10 power Contract 2002 just to save sliver of A fund
2) Age 65

But lets take care of these guys at others expense once again by wasting negotiating capital. We must ensure their egos as whale drivers are matched by their paychecks...:rolleyes:

Again, are the only guys flying widebody airplanes 60 year old Captains? Or are there First Officers on those planes, who outnumber by a factor of 2 or so, the "old" senior Captains? Should we screw them, too just so we can "get back" at those evil Age 60 Captains? Perhaps these widebody F/O's are guilty by association?

I promised myself I wouldn't try to win the Special Olympics by debating this at all on a forum, especially flight info. I'm done. I'll see all of you when we come out the other side of this.......

I don't care if we have a different pay scale for every aircraft or three generic categories of pay like CAL does right now. You assume that if we (combined UAL) don't have every airplane segregated somehow we won't be able to negotiate the pay scales we want. Don't give up before the fight starts, we'll get what we negotiate. And what happens when we sell out on the rest of the pay scales to boost the 747 rates and as soon as the ink dries on the contract Jeff decides that 747s have no place in our future? Remember, he turned away sweetheart deals on 777s because he's still convinced our future is in the 787. I don't think he will keep a four engine plane around as soon as we have more efficient aircraft to replace them on those routes. CAL management was/is also notorious for flying undersized aircraft on routes to keep the loads high. He'll gladly give you the moon on 747 pay, then pull them right out from right under us as soon as he get's the chance and then what will be the highest pay category?

It is in OUR best interest to get as many aircraft in the highest pay category as possible and negotiate the best rate we can. If that means that all 767s and larger are widebody, so be it. All that's left to determine is how much we get paid to fly them. And no, I realize that everyone on the 747 is not over 60, but unless you live in the right domicile and were hired fairly young you might not ever get the chance to fly the thing anyway. It's kind of an empty carrot to say "look what our top Captains make" knowing most of us will never make that.

From your rationale I can only come to two conclusions. One, you want to somehow influence seniority integration by breaking out 747s above everyone else or two, and even scarier, is you are already on the 747 and are willing to sign a subpar contract for the rest of us as long as it benefits a few. Either way it's not worth dividing the pilot group over, and we're wasting time and resources on an issue that doesn't warrant it.

And about our current 767s, you are also dead wrong! We fly the 200 and 400 and they all pay widebody right now. We're not trying to change anything, no pay raises for the smaller 767s because they are already widebodies. See how that works?

Just a simple question for ONLY CAL pilots. Why are the CAL guys so against seperate pay scale for each type? Don't you believe we should be compensated for a/c productivity in addition to number of seats?

Just a simple question for ONLY CAL pilots. Why are the CAL guys so against seperate pay scale for each type? Don't you believe we should be compensated for a/c productivity in addition to number of seats?

If that is what you are trying to do then you would have proposed pay scales for every fleet type. That is not what you did, you singled out the 747. Please read my post about three prior why it is not a good idea to prop up the 747 pay above other widebodies. Again, why such a big fight now over such a small item when we have more important work to do?

If that is what you are trying to do then you would have proposed pay scales for every fleet type. That is not what you did, you singled out the 747. Please read my post about three prior why it is not a good idea to prop up the 747 pay above other widebodies. Again, why such a big fight now over such a small item when we have more important work to do?

It's over.

CHAIRMAN'S UPDATE
On Monday I talked extensively with the UAL MEC Chairman Capt. Morse and am pleased to report that the UAL side of the Joint Negotiating Committee (JNC) is now free to develop and present a compensation proposal based on previous JNC work. As a result, the JNC made considerable progress this week in finalizing the compensation proposal and it is expected to be included as part of a comprehensive presentation and counterproposal on numerous sections to management that will be presented in early December. I want to thank both sides of the JNC for their persistence and patience in dealing with this obstacle in a professional manner despite the disagreement between the MECs. It is an unfortunate reality that throughout this process, as we work to find common ground with our brothers and sisters at UAL, there will be times when we disagree on the best course of action. I am disappointed that we lost so much time on this particular issue, but am pleased that the JNC can now do their work.

We tried to prop up the 744 when you tried to band the 764 with the 777/744 and the Airbus with the 735/733. Just answer my question. Do you feel the need to agree to banding in a non concessionary environment? Before the BK decade CAL has paid to number of seats while UAL/AMR/DAL/NWA/USA paid to productivity/# of seats. Whats next, paying the 787 the same as the 767? Give me a break! You guys have been in concessionary mode since 1983. It's time to move forward and take back what we gave up in the last 10 years.The UAL MEC was directed by the membership to unband before any merger was announced. The UAL MEC/NC agreed to banding to compromise with the CAL MEC/NC.

We tried to prop up the 744 when you tried to band the 764 with the 777/744 and the Airbus with the 735/733. Just answer my question. Do you feel the need to agree to banding in a non concessionary environment? Before the BK decade CAL has paid to number of seats while UAL/AMR/DAL/NWA/USA paid to productivity/# of seats. Whats next, paying the 787 the same as the 767? Give me a break! You guys have been in concessionary mode since 1983. It's time to move forward and take back what we gave up in the last 10 years.The UAL MEC was directed by the membership to unband before any merger was announced. The UAL MEC/NC agreed to banding to compromise with the CAL MEC/NC.

If the pay rates were separate going into this, I don't feel that either MEC would be trying to band aircraft together - so your question is a touch unrealistic based on what each airline has been through the last 10 years and based upon the fact that this is not a "normal" round of section 6 talks we're dealing with here.

The MEC/JNC/MC are working with what they have on their plate. It's obvious to this CAL pilot that banding aircraft ON THIS CONTRACT ONLY and AT THIS TIME will benefit the MOST pilots in the combined carrier as soon as possible and UP FRONT upon successful closing of JCBA negotiations + SLI.

It would appear that banding (I don't like using this next word in this context, but...) "harms" the least number of pilots between the two airlines as they merge to form one - again, UP FRONT.

With the banding, it's possible to benefit as much of the group as possible - because, let's face it, some guys from both lists will feel a slight sting coming out the back end of this deal... better for few to feel that sting than many, IMO.

When it comes time for the next round of CBA talks, post-SLI, I will be all for "unbanding" of all A/C types, without hesitation because "UNITED" seniority will determine who gets to fly those aircraft then... NOT a 3rd party neutral.

It's not about who is trying to "grab" what seniority to me. It's about the best JCBA + most-fair-for-all SLI.

With banding on this deal only, I feel that we have a better chance for that more successful JCBA outcome followed by the most fair SLI for the most pilots.

It's all just my humble opinion. Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

CAL mgt has gotten rid of the following airplanes in the last 15 years: A300, 747, 727, DC10, DC9, MD-80, and 737-100. Almost half of them are widebody, but we've preserved widebody pay for more pilots through banding. This mgt team wants to change this fleet. If we don't continue to band we will have only one widebody before they're done with only 10% of the pilots flying it. I believe we should try to make the most opportunities for the most pilots we can. That's what banding does.

Latest resources

Back