UAL Bases by seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WolfManPack

Looking to find out how senior the United bases rank. I'm guessing IAD is one of the more junior bases but that is purely a guess.​

In case any of the UAL guys are curious, currently IAH is the junior base but that wasn't the case until just recently when management shifted flying to IAH when before it was EWR.​

Also, what bases equipment do you guys think will get fenced on your side and for how long, etc?​

Thanks!​

Last edited:
I was sort of curious what would happen if a UAL furloughee takes a recall to the CAL side. Would there be any type of seatlock before he could bid back to a UAL domicile...ie getting recalled to the 737 in EWR and bidding back to A320 at IAD.

I know this is putting the cart ahead of the horse for now.

Info

I was sort of curious what would happen if a UAL furloughee takes a recall to the CAL side. Would there be any type of seatlock before he could bid back to a UAL domicile...ie getting recalled to the 737 in EWR and bidding back to A320 at IAD.

I know this is putting the cart ahead of the horse for now.

I wish I knew the answer to that question as I'm curious to know if the CAL guys accepting recall will be seatlocked as well. Some have indicated that since the company is going to put you where they need you anyway (despite you bid preferences on this bid), that the seat lock will not apply.

If I can find out the answer for you I'll let you know but for now there are MANY questions unanswered.

Rumor has it that the company is going to backfill mainly on the EWR 756 so there is a good chance that is where the majority of recalls / new hires will go. On the bid that had the 15 recalls I remember the most junior folks were also awarded the EWR 756 so there may be some truth to that rumor. I think the way of thinking by the company is they expect the most movement out of that sub-base so they will train us first to backfill that position.

Also, to clarify a few other points that have been discussed on this and other message boards, this latest bid did NOT include the original 15 recalls so the 145 positions open on this bid are in addition to the 15 previous. That means that there will be more positions available for UAL pilots.

I have no idea what the rate of acceptance will be on our side but I'm sure that it won't be 100% so that will make even more positions available to the UAL pilots as well. If I had to guess at this point I would say that only about 15 to 25% will defer due to the economy, uncertainty, etc.

The snap shot for the CAL bid comes out today so we'll have a better idea of where recalls are going to go later today I hope.

Regards and look forward to working with the UAL pilots in the near future.

It also becomes a factor for the senior furloughees when they make their decision to bypass. If they are going to be put in EWR, that might be enough to make people pass until they can get to one of the UAL bases.

I am very junior at UAL and live in DC. Driving to EWR is do-able, but I would need more info on what the Reserve rules will be. I'd imagine that RSV on the 757 would be a lot easier than RSV on the 737 (based on what little I know about the long call / short call).

I have no idea what the rate of acceptance will be on our side but I'm sure that it won't be 100% so that will make even more positions available to the UAL pilots as well. If I had to guess at this point I would say that only about 15 to 25% will defer due to the economy, uncertainty, etc.

Rumor? Don't know and I don't really dig them but I'll throw this one out there. Heard only 15 out of 120 CAL pilots accepted recall to date.

Remember the CAL can ADD positions to a bid just not decrease. They may be planning for the inevitable work rule change from the JCBA that would probably hit the EWR 756 BES the most with IRO's working both ways, and no more building lines flying 15 days in a row, etc.

Denver is our most senior base by a good amount. I would think after the merger it will go very senior as CO pilots that still live there choose to give up the commute. I would guess the same will happen in CLE assuming that is a senior base for CO.

Denver is our most senior base by a good amount. I would think after the merger it will go very senior as CO pilots that still live there choose to give up the commute. I would guess the same will happen in CLE assuming that is a senior base for CO.

What is UAL's most junior base?

Thanks.

Rumor? Don't know and I don't really dig them but I'll throw this one out there. Heard only 15 out of 120 CAL pilots accepted recall to date.

This cannot be true. Simply, no furloughed pilots have been contacted by the company, not from this bid or the previous. This rumor is just that....a rumor.

Latest resources

Back